Can't make toxiclibs Vec3D work in Python mode

edited March 2016 in Python Mode

I'm trying to make something in Python mode, but I need toxiclibs. I try using Vec3D, but when I try to read the Vec3D coordinate values it tells me they aren't of the float type and that " argument can't be coerced to float".

I use Python type function to check the datatypes of the Vec3D object and its 'x' attribute and I get:

<type 'toxi.geom.Vec3D'>
<type 'instancemethod'>

And here is the code I mention:

add_library('toxiclibscore')

vector = 1

def setup():
    size(200,600)
    vector = Vec3D(width/2,height/2,0)
def draw():
    print(type(vector.x))
    ellipse(vector.x ,vector.y, 3, 3)

Answers

• Um, help?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I ask for the Vec3D object "x" (or "y") attribute, I get the error I mentioned. It should return a float value, but when I use Python's type() function to determine the kind of value I'm getting, I don't get "float", but "instancemethod" (?).

• edited August 2014 Answer ✓

Not all libraries will work in Python mode I suggest you send a PM to @JonathanFeinberg the creator of Python mode.

• Thanks, I think I'll do that.

• Answer ✓

Don't know if you ever got this answered, but the issue here is that the toxic libs are properly designed for the end-user; i.e. object fields can't be accessed directly:

x = vector.x

would give you an x which is, indeed, a method; an accessor method for the private field x.

You would need to invoke it as x = vector.x() to get the value of the vector's x.