Will processing 3.0 be the last release?

edited July 2014 in General Discussion

If not, what are future plans for java processing 3+ and sister projects.

Answers

• No. Once 3.0 is released the dev team will probably get together again to discuss the major changes for the following 4.0 release. See todo.txt (especially the last FUTURE paragraph).

• edited July 2014

Interesting. I vote against the removal of the static mode: it is one of my preferred feature of PDE: to be able to type a few lines of Java and to run it without even saving it (explicitly).
    On the other hand, it is trivial to add setup() around these lines, so if it simplify the life of developers, oh well, why not.

I also vote against === to compare strings. No more intuitive than .equals(), I think, and as they point out, can be confusing. At least, .equals() teaches good habits to students that will learn Java later.

• I've got lotsa examples which use static mode! Seems like the greater the version, less things it has! :-L

• If they remove static mode, you might be able to achieve almost the same thing like this: { //a few lines of Java ellipse(50,50,50,50); } I think its called a static initializer block. It gets called before the PApplet constructor.

• I do that trick sometimes too! But just to complete the info, those blocks can have the keyword static on 'em:

static {
      println(Thread.currentThread());
    }

Of course, only static stuff can go into a static scoped block! :P

• edited July 2014

Even though I think almost no 1 will ever realize it's even available, I'm in favor for the === operator! :D
    Can't help it, love syntactic sugar like CoffeeScript! O:-)