Strings from Arduino to Processing over serial getting jarbled

edited October 2013 in Arduino

I'm trying to get closed captioning text from Arduino using the video experimenter shield. I'm using the sketches I downloaded from

http://nootropicdesign.com/projectlab/2011/07/18/visualizing-tv-dialog/

When I run the Arduino sketch, the text shows up in the serial monitor perfectly well. When I run the processing sketch, however, I get this warning in the Processing console:

"RXTX Warning: Removing stale lock file. /var/lock/LK.031.018.010"

and the text in the serial monitor goes from something like this

"Announcer:
INTERSTATE BATTERIES --
OUTRAGEOUSLY DEPENDABLE."

to something like this

"TONIHSYSEYOD
RUH OYUB
O ODUTMT BT'
I EIFLIO
T BTS O IGIHV OCNO -DR KN"

I think this has something to do with the text coming out of Arduino as ASCII or something but Processing is trying to read it as something else. If that's the case, how do I fix it?

Answers

• So it turns out that for whatever reason it works on my linux partition but not on mac osx. I'd still love an answer as to why this is happening but at least I have it working.

• FYI, we have an entirely new Serial library in 2.1b; we won't be making changes to the Serial library included in prior releases.

• I have it working now with 2.1. It turns out the problem though was opening the serial monitor in arduino before (and while) running the processing sketch. If I don't open the serial monitor in arduino and just run the processing sketch, the data passes through perfectly.