Use of 'example' programs. Can I use them (with credits) or do they need to be made unique?

edited July 2014 in General Discussion

Hello,

Can I use the 'example' programs for my own artistic purposes, if I give proper credit to the programmers and application? I am experimenting with projecting tweaked versions of the example programs onto landscapes and videoing them for a music video, ie making them unique.

Would I run into copyright problems if I use untweaked examples? I have chosen some very basic examples.

Please let me know, thank you!

Answers

• http://wiki.processing.org/w/FAQ#Do_I_have_to_cite_Processing.3F_Do_I_have_to_share_my_code.3F_Can_I_distribute_my_sketches.3F

Q: "Do I have to cite Processing? Do I have to share my code? Can I distribute my sketches?"

A: "We like it when people include a 'Built with Processing' note with a link back to the site, since it helps create interest and brings in more people to the project. We don't/can't/shouldn't require it, but it makes us happy because the project is free and this is one way you can help give back to us.

You can also remove the source code from web pages that you export, but in the spirit of the Processing project overall, we include it by default so as to encourage sharing and learning from one another.

You can distribute your sketches all you want, and commercial projects are just fine too, however we place no warranty on the software (see the download page for the license shenanigans). "

• edited July 2014

Thank you. I'll definitely include Processing.org in the credits.

Am I free to use 'untweaked' examples from the application?