Minim FFT question

edited April 2014 in Library Questions

Hey there,

I've been fooling around minim library to do some sound analysis.

What I want to achieve is performing FFT but do this for certain frequency ranges which are as follows;

20hz - 80hz = ........ Low Bass
80hz - 320hz = ...... Midbass
320hz - 1280hz = ... Midrange
1280hz - 5120hz = .. High Midrange/Low Treble
5120hz - 20840hz = . High Treble

For each range I need to get a magnitude so that I can send them to arduino.

Is this something possible to achieve.

Also I need to use the soundcard output of the computer as input data rather than using the built-in microphone with AudioInput function. However, couldn't find any way to do so. I reckon this is something feasible since I read the following comment lines under getLineIn function;

//it's feasible that the user may have the actual audio output of the computer as the active audio input

I do really appreciate if someone help me to sort those things.

Thank you.

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi! Did you find out? I have the same problem..

Thanks

• Sadly you can't change the audio input device in Processing itself. It always uses the default audio input from your system. On Windows you can go to your input devices setup by right clicking the speaker icon in the task bar and set another device as default input device. Normally you should see an input device named something like "stereo mix" or "audio mix" or "desktop sound" or "what you hear", depending on your sound card. If you only see the microphone as your only input device you might need to enable this feature in your sound card setup (see Google).