Kinect minimum requirements

ch3ch3
edited April 2014 in Kinect

Hi,

I have a little project in mind that will require a kinect, so I am doing a bit of research before buying the device. I have a couple of questions...

Looking and the minimum requirements it says it needs a Dual-core 2.66-GHz or faster processor. My new laptop has an Intel Core i7, 4 cores at 2.40 GHz, running windows7. Do you think that will be a problem? Has anyone run it on a slower that the minimum requirements machine?

I keep reading about various compatibility issues depending on the specific model. Looking at microsoft store page, I can't find which specific model it is. Do you think I will have an issue using this and all the latest libraries?

I came across a couple of posts in this forum and people were talking about the xBox version of kinect. Could that really be used with processing in a PC?

thank you

Answers

• I have used the original Xbox 360 Kinect with my 13" MacBook Pro, which has a 2.4ghz i5 with no problems. I'm not sure what the position is with the dedicated PC versions, or the updated Xbox One version.

• yeah I am curious to what the differences are between the xBox and the PC version. A friend of mine is willing to give me his xBox one in a month or so, so I am wondering if it's worth spending 200pounds.

I just saw a video for the new xBoxOne kinect and it seems it has a higher resolution sensors. Any idea if this will go on the market any time soon on its own?

• There is a dedicated Kinect for Windows with the new higher resolution cameras on the way — according to this page it should be launching soon. Some of the Cinder and OpenFrameworks community have been working with developer previews in co-operation with MS, but whether that will lead to new Processing libraries I don't know.

• good to know. thanks for info!