Adobe Premiere Pro OpenCL and CUDA

edited April 2014 in General Discussion

I am planning on buying a new computer for video processing. I realize OpenCL and CUDA are important and Adobe lists the gpu's that Premiere supports. However; many other gpu's list OpenCL and CUDA as supported features. This may seem dumb, but why would Premiere Pro not utilize other gpu's that support OpenCL and CUDA? Or does it? Thanks for any and all help! Your answer might save me a couple of hundred bucks!

Tagged:

Answers

• So this isn't really the right place to ask this question: this forum is dedicated to Processing the programming environment, not processing (with a small 'p') in general. You might get better advice in a video editing forum.

In reference to your actual question, though, most professional software lists hardware that it officially supports. This is generally hardware that a) they have tested and b) will provide technical support on if something doesn't work. Other hardware may well work, but it's not guaranteed by the manufacturer or developer.

This is often the main differentiator between consumer GPUs (Radeon/GeForce) and workstation GPUS (FirePro, Quadro). The hardware is similar but the drivers and manufacturer support is much better for the professional cards.

• Thanks for your help and sorry if this is the wrong place. I am not sure I could get the best answer to this question in the type of forum you mentioned as many of those people process video, but do not write code. I was thinking actual programmers in this forum who actually write code would have a deeper level of understanding how to use CUDA and OpenCl and could tell me if it was pretty much all the same if a card has either of those two features in its specs. Many gpu's listed do have CUDA and OpenCL support, but are not on Adobe's list. As you mentioned I assumed Adobe tested those cards that they listed, but I wondered if other cards that support those features would also work. There are dramatic differences in prices (about 3 to 4 hundred $) between many of the computers that have cards that support OpenCL and CUDA, but do not appear on Adobe's list. I am not a gamer so I do not need an ultra fast gpu. I don't mind spending more $ if I have to, but if I can get the same performance at lower cost all the better. Thanks for your answer.

• The amount of CUDA cores is important, you might want to compare it with different cards.