Connecting WebSocketP5 with Node.js

edited April 2014 in JavaScript Mode

Hi there,

For my graduation project I want to transfer Kinectdata from Processing to a webserver. Via the WebSocketP5 library I can transfer data to my localhost:3000. But is it possible to connect this Processing Websocket to Node.js?

My ideal setup: Node.js server connecting to Processing websocket and getting data from that socket.

I found an example from Glenn Jones where he uses the Kinect to control a Drone. I can't get this example to work, but I did got the feeling that data could be sent from Processing to the Websocket. (https://github.com/glennjones/kinect-drone) I could not get this code to work because I have a newer version installed of OpenNI.

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Answers

• It's definitely possible — I had a prototype doing it, although I realised that the node server wasn't actually necessary for my project (I'm using a Java lib in Processing for the server). If I recall rightly I used ws to run the websocket server.

Fundamentally it shouldn't matter whether you're running the websocket server on node or on something else — all the clients should see is a standard websocket server that they can communicate with.

Hope that helps.