Interfacing to USB HID Device

edited March 2014 in Android Mode

I've spent a lot of time looking around but I have not found a generic HID sketch for Processing Android. Do you guys know of anything out there? If not, do I start with something like javahidapi (http://code.google.com/p/javahidapi/) and port it to Processing for Android? Any suggestions or links to existing projects?

Answers

• Answer ✓

The library that you reference is a Java library that may or may not work for Android. Considering that it is a wrapper of a native library, I wouldn't expect it to work, especially considering that there is no explicit mention of Android support.

I am unaware of any existing HID sketches, although there was a recent forum post that indirectly involved access to USB.

You may want to take a look at the Android USB Documentation. This is part of the Android framework from API level 12, but Processing requires API level 10. Fortunately, there is an official back-port of the library to API level 10 via the Google APIs add-on library. The challenge here is integrating the Android libraries into your Processing sketch.

• Ok, thanks for that reply. I'll put that off to the side for now.