Another NullPointerException error breaking my brains

edited March 2014 in Using Processing

Hello I'm a complete noob at programming so bear with me I have read some stuff about this error, but either nothing I can understand (yet) or that even helps

Have no idea where to begin resolving this error.

cantfigureout

Basically what I want is to use Processing to make something nice to go along with the music I make to put on Youtube, so I got some visualisers from OpenProcessing, but NONE of them work (All I get is either this error, or just a blank window) and I'm at my wits end because I can't find anything about this anywhere

Answers

• edited March 2014

Dunno much, but perhaps Minim library work only on Oracle's Java version? :-??
    I was never able to successfully play audio w/ OpenJDK! :o3

• edited March 2014

It means there is no file called "droost.mp3" in either you sketch or sketch's data folder. With known filetypes, sometimes the filetype is hidden. Are you sure the file is not called "droost.mp3.mp3"? Also take a look at all the minim examples that come with Processing to see if these work on your computer.

• edited March 2014

Hey @amnon In the screenshot I included explicitly the open folder of the file. As you can see, the file has the right name and should be in the right folder. Take a look at my screenshot and you'll see what I mean. Everything SHOULD work, but it doesn't.

@GoToLoop, can you please elaborate? As far as I know, Minim comes standard with Processing and it should work.

• edited March 2014

Since it doesn't work, you should collect information and try different things. Sometimes the error is in something unexpected, hence my suggestions.

I see the screenshot, but in windows (seems you're on apple?) even when the filename 'seems right', the actual filename is not right, because often the filetype is hidden, so seeing the 'right filename' is actually an indication that it is wrong. Have you tried println() the contents of the sketch/data folder to the console to doublecheck filename issues? In the past this kind of npe's were in most cases caused by this error.

To move on, have you tried my second suggestion, namely the minim examples that come with processing? Do these work?

Also, have you tried placing the file in the data folder?

Also, have you tried the loadFile method without the 2048 parameter?

Finally, it seems you are under the assumption your code uses the minim library that comes with processing. However it doesn't. It uses the jar file in the code folder. To use minim, remove the code folder and add the minim library imports.

Just trying to help. Good luck! :)

• "It means there is no file called "droost.mp3" in either you sketch or sketch's data folder."
    Not really. If I read correctly from this bad screenshot (showing textual information is more useful in our forum!), the error is a NullPointerException, meaning the minim value is null.

Indeed, it is strange. Perhaps you should try and install Processing again?