Processing BROKE after running out of memory/trying to change to android mode on linux

edited March 2014 in Android Mode

Edit: looks like its some sort of permissions problem with Ubuntu, not a Processing problem at all. Thanks Koogs for the suggestion. I will be looking on the Ubuntu forum for help on this one. Anyone else using Ubuntu: don't use root it will break things.

Doesn't matter which version of processing I try (2.0x or 2.1 I tried 4 versions, only downloaded 2.1 to try and fix the problem was on 2.02 at the time) This is a complete disaster I have invested months into learning to program with this, things were working out great just started getting to grips with Oop in Processing now this!

OS is UbuntuStudio 13.10 up to date. Tried replacing java7, renaming sketchbook and removing all libraries to no avail.

I was in the process of installing a new android sdk but hadn't even been able to link it yet. problem started after selecting android mode (I was hoping to get the "where is your sdk located" dialogue but instead everything broke.)

anyone on ubuntu know how to fix? I think if I can get processing to go out of android mode it might be fixed? How to do this it won't even start!

./processing gives this error every time:

Error parsing gtk-icon-sizes string: ''
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at processing.app.Base.(Base.java:351)
    at processing.app.Base.createAndShowGUI(Base.java:202)
    at processing.app.Base.access$000(Base.java:46)
    at processing.app.Base$1.run(Base.java:139)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:666)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(EventQueue.java:81)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:627)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:625)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:636)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at processing.core.PApplet.parseInt(PApplet.java:9249)
    at processing.app.contrib.AvailableContribution.(AvailableContribution.java:51)
    at processing.app.contrib.ContributionListing.parseContribList(ContributionListing.java:459)
    at processing.app.contrib.ContributionListing.setAdvertisedList(ContributionListing.java:76)
    at processing.app.contrib.ContributionListing.(ContributionListing.java:59)
    at processing.app.contrib.ContributionListing.getInstance(ContributionListing.java:66)
    at processing.app.contrib.ContributionManager.(ContributionManager.java:37)
    ... 18 more

Answers

• I found a workaround if anyone has the same issue... use windoze urrgh 8-|

• my condolences...

this bit: java.lang.NullPointerException at processing.core.PApplet.parseInt(PApplet.java:9249) at processing.app.contrib.AvailableContribution.(AvailableContribution.java:51) at

looks like a problem with the libraries inside your sketchbook. AvailableContribution

specifically, according to this: https://github.com/processing/processing/blob/master/app/src/processing/app/contrib/AvailableContribution.java#L51 a version number.

try moving all the libraries somewhere safe and adding them back one at a time.

• Thanks koogs for your suggestion. Although moving the libraries was unsuccessful, it did prompt me to do some more experimenting and I found out that any version of Processing2 will run... as root only. So not sure why but I am back programming again for now. Now I just need to remember how to make a launcher that runs a root command.

• Answer ✓

sounds like something somewhere has restrictive permissions.

the processing script is just a bash script, try running it with bash -x and seeing if anything looks wrong.

• bash -x ./processing outputs a list of stuff 10 pages long, this stuff is all way over my head!