Processing to Arduino computer independent

edited February 2014 in Arduino

Hello,

I've been doing a project for my lab with arduino. The objective is to make one kind of alarm for certain scenarios. One of them is electricity. For this, the alarm is supposed to be computer independent. I already made this alarm working, however I'm supposed to let one .exe for everyone be able to use and change certain values easily. For this I'm using processing.

Now, my question: is it possible to use processing to change certain values in arduino and then use the arduino board independently of the computer? Or will it simply reset and everything sent from processing is reset too? If there's anyway to do this, please tell me.

Best regards, Rhen

Answers

• edited February 2014

Hi,

Yes, that's possible

Arduino-boards have up to a few kilobytes of EEPROM-memory. You can use it to store settings/values "permanently" (untill you change it) and write it ~100.000 times. Check the EEPROM-library http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/EEPROM#.UwCzLM7y3wF how to use it.

Depending on the amount of data, you can also add a larger external EEPROM or use an SD-card to store data. A credit-card-EEPROM + card reader could be used as well to store data more permanently.