Computational Arts MA/MFA @ Goldsmiths - now recruiting for 2018!

Hi everyone,

Just dropping a line to say that the department of Computing at Goldsmiths, University of London, is looking to recruit a few more artist-hackers for next year's cohort at the MA/MFA in Computational Arts (starting Sept 2018).

What will I learn? Using openFrameworks, Arduino, Processing you'll learn machine learning, computer vision, generative art, genetic algorithms, audio-visual programming and so much more in order to make interactive installations, physical objects, robots, phone apps, games etc. Visit the link above for a list of the courses on offer.

Do I need to know how to code? Not necessarily. About 30% of our students know how to code before they join us. The classes are of varying levels and they cater for all abilities. We value the diversity of skills each person brings in. We have architects, dancers, coders, musicians, writers and many more practitioners on the course!

Who will teach me? All teaching staff are creative practitioners themselves. Here are some of them: * Prof. Atau Tanaka * Phoenix Perry indie games developer great openFrameworks contributor * Prof. Mick Grierson who led the world's first MOOC in Creative Coding * Rebecca Fiebrink who runs the popular Kadenze course on Machine Learning for Musicians and Artists * Lior Ben Gai - creative technology practitioner * Freida Abtan * Helen Pritchard hacker and critical theorist * Theo Papatheodorou founder of Random Quark creative tech studio

All members of staff are academics but maintain a strong creative practice too! Furthermore, you'll get regular crit sessions. Guests in the past included Memo Akten and Patrick Tresset, Kyle McDonald, Jane Prophet, Maurice Benayoun, Andrew Shoben and many more!

What do current students make? * In C++ where virtual perforers take autonomous decisions in real time as they perform Riley's "In C". * A sign glove that translates sign language to sounds and recently won a prestigious hackathon in Korea * Dancers in White where a dancer is performing with robots she made using computer vision * Generative jewelry using online software and 3D printed. Upon graduation student took project to kickstarter, raised 15k, launced her own business * Salty Bitter Sweet is an installation using computer vision + machine learning to "taste" images, uses data to generate shakespear-seeded sonnets.

For other projects from last year's 2017 graduates have a look here

Where will I work? You'll be working in state of the art facilities. Goldsmiths Computing unveiled a brand new fabrication space equipped with twelve 3D printers, a £60k laser cutter and a fully stocked electronics lab, all freely accessible to MA/MFA students.

So, is this all work and no play? Absolutely not! We organise pop-up exhibitions, computational art gallery visits for our students, we take massive field trips. Last year we travelled all together to a Netherlands hackathon and this year 50 of us went to Transmediale in Berlin.

If this is the kind of work you'd love to be doing, in a interdisciplinary, creative department, please get in touch!

More info on how to apply go here

If you have questions let me know by writing to theo@gold.ac.uk

Dr Theodoros Papatheodorou Lecturer in Computational Arts Computational Arts MA/MFA Programme Leader