How far can I go with PeasyCam?

edited March 2018 in Library Questions

Hi all, I want to know how far can I go with PeasyCam, when I right-click and drag my mouse to zoom out.

I saw here: https://github.com/jdf/peasycam/blob/master/src/peasy/PeasyCam.java this line 58: private double maximumDistance = Double.MAX_VALUE;

but, when I use getDistance(); to my PeasyCam, and I println() the values, I get around 5300 before my object disappear.

I thought this was caused by the fact that it's a floating number and the values after the float reach the max lenght for a double, but I don't think this is the case, because I can zoom out more and more and getting higher values.

It's just my object disappear..

Can I move this point?

Thank you in advance

import peasy.*;
import peasy.org.apache.commons.math.*;
import peasy.org.apache.commons.math.geometry.*;

PeasyCam cam;

void setup() {
  size(800, 600, P3D);
  cam = new PeasyCam(this, 100);
}

void draw() {
  background(255);
  println(cam.getDistance());
  sphere(100);
}

Answers

• edited March 2018

OpenGL uses a fustrum to represent the volume of space that will be rendered on the screen. There are two important measurements,

The near zone distance - anything less than this distance will not be rendered
    the far zone distance - anything beyond that will not be rendered.

I don't know whether you can change the far zone distance in PeasyCam

• Thank you quark :)

Ok, so there are a Front Clipping Plane and a Back Clipping Plane. There are some ways to "break" those clipping boundaries?

• perspective() in the reference has the formula it uses for calculating the clipping distances and other versions which allow you to override the defaults.

But I haven't looked to see whether peasycam works with this or whether it uses its own.

• The reference for PeasyCam does not appear to have an option to change the back clipping distance. You might add it as a feature request.

• I've taken a look to perspective() reference, but it seems I wasn't able to make it works :(

now I found this thread: https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/8776/help-goemetry-shifted-when-toggling-btw-ortho-and-perspective-in-peasycam

and his use of perspective() works perfectly!!!

Here is my modified and simplified code:

import peasy.*; 
    PeasyCam cam;

void setup() {
      size(1000, 1000, P3D);
      setupCamera();
    }

void draw() {
      background(120); 
      updateCam();
      sphere(100);
    }

void setupCamera () {
      //hint(ENABLE_STROKE_PERSPECTIVE);
      float fov      = PI/3;  // field of view
      float nearClip = 1;
      float farClip  = 100000;
      float aspect   = float(width)/float(height);  
      perspective(fov, aspect, nearClip, farClip);  
      cam = new PeasyCam(this, 400);
    }

void updateCam () {
      //----- perspective -----
      float fov      = PI/3;  // field of view
      float nearClip = 1;
      float farClip  = 100000;
      float aspect   = float(width)/float(height);  
      perspective(fov, aspect, nearClip, farClip);
      println(cam.getDistance());
    }

as you can see now the sphere() will disappear when cam.getDistance() reach 10.000 :)

If you don't mind, I have some questions (maybe I should post it in the original thread...):

why do we have to set two difference perspective(), one for the setupCamera() method and one for updateCam()?

Why fov = PI/3; ? What this means? And why we have to update it in draw? Isn't PI/3 a costant?

Thank you :)

• Answer ✓

Fov is field of view (it's even in the comments there), how much of an angle you can see. It's a standard graphics concept that you could Google.

Those two calls to perspective are identical. I don't think that code is all that great. You don't need both.

Don't post additional questions in 2 year old threads. Processing has changed major versions twice in that time.

• Thank you :)