Introduction and queries

edited March 2018 in Summer of Code 2018

Greetings to the community!

My name is Anmol Rishi. I am a student pursuing B.E. at NSIT (Delhi University) in India. I just wanted to introduce myself to the community and also inquire about a proposal that I have been drafting for the project entitled

"Development Environment: Beginner/New User Experience Features"

I have been following and using Processing for a long time now and totally agree that beginners find it difficult to build and run their first program. And while the online tutorials(thanks to the coding train) explain all features very well, I believe that the need for a documented step by step introduction built in the editor is pretty high.

My main motivation to work on this project is my love to program in JAVA and generate a better user experience towards Processing.

I have added few screenshots to my proposal as to how the step by step tutorial would look. I'll share my draft by tomorrow. But I have a few queries after reading many discussions in this forum.

1) Is it necessary to contribute on GitHub for a proposal to get accepted? 2) How do I show that I have enough experience of coding in JAVA? Should I add my resume or maybe the link to my Github profile in the proposal? 3) I have already conducted many webinars when I was a Teaching Assistant at a local coding institute, so, I feel that I'll be comfortable in shooting tutorials for analyzing and discovering all the features. But can this contribution be counted under Gsoc, since Gsoc is mostly about code? 4) Would it be helpful if the introduction was made considering the colorblind users of Processing?

Prompt replies would really help me in completing the proposal in time, so kindly reply as soon as possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Anmol Rishi

anmol1rishi@gmail.com

Comments

• 1) no
    2) both resume and github profile are great ways to show off your abilities, I would include those in a proposal
    3) I don't think GSoC is "mostly" about code, but it requires that you write at least some code. In the end, you will have to submit a proof of your work, and that is usually a link to a repository. I think the aim of the project you mentioned was actually to build tools to improve the user experience - not really to shoot tutorials - I think. Still, if you are going with the tutorials, you will be writing code.
    4) Oh, I don't know about this ):

Feel free to post here the link to your proposal if you want, so you can get help reviewing it.

• Thanks for the insight!

• @arishi it is not required to contribute on Github to be accepted into GSoC, however, showing and past work or open source software development on Github is helpful for evaluating your application.

• Thanks so much @shiffman!

Here's the link to my proposal. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X6q0rrP8dV6NXmxK0iT50OIq92xPHjNikbn-Rd5k70I/edit#

Your unbiased review is of utmost importance. Please recommend changes that might be needed. I am staying awake until the deadline is over so I'll make sure to implement your suggestions before the deadline.

• Thanks for your proposal, I have added comments in the google doc!