GSoC 2018 - Android Debugger Project

The integrated debugger is available only in the Java mode, but would be as useful in the Android mode as well.

I want to start contributing and propose for this project please help on how to start.

Comments

• Hi, many thanks for your interest! I imagine this would be fairly technical project to work on, as it requires a good understanding of how the adb tool works and how can be used to debug an app running on the device on in the emulator... I'm myself not 100% sure if that's the way to go. The debugger in the Java mode should serve as a model (take a look this the code here), but I would expect the implementation for Android would be quite different.

• @thefall thanks for pointing to this article, it does looks helpful. Do you know if jdb is part of the Eclipse Compiler for Java (ECJ).

@manav_mj Any thoughts on this? It is important to note that Processing uses ECJ internally to build sketches into running applications, both in the Java and Android mode, to avoid requiring an additional JDK download, so any debugging solution for the Android mode should rely on the ECJ.

• edited March 2018

@thefall the article does look helpful in visualizing the architecture of the debugger but i think we can not use the same technology as JDB and DDMS are included in JDK which we are not using.

@codeanticode I have a limited knowledge on ECJ but have a fair knowledge of ADB tools. I know this project would require quite a good amount of technical knowledge but i would like to get my hands dirty with command line tools and work on this project.

• edited March 2018

Hello @codeanticode i have submitted my proposal on the GSoC portal. Pls review it.

• @manav_mj it's helpful if you include a link here as well so that reviewers can go directly to the proposal (it's sometimes tricky to figure out which user from the forum goes with which proposal.)