Etch-a-Sketch DrawBot software setup

edited February 2018 in Arduino

I'll start by saying I'm very new to processing, so please feel free to point out even the most obvious of error in my logic ;)

I've been working on a DrawBot based on an etch-a-sketch (mostly to amuse the little fella) and looking for suitable software for image to gcode conversion. I came across the amazing death to sharpies project which I believe uses Drawbot_image_to_gcode_v2 which I think (?) is based on processing for its image conversion.

Question: I'm looking for some guidance on how best to installed / compiled / executed Scott-Cooper's code - Drawbot_image_to_gcode_v2. It also seems to have several dependancies or libraries any guidance on tracking these down would be appreciated. I guess I'm looking for Processing 101 / Drawbot 101

Hardware & Software 1 x Etch-a-sketch 2 x Nema17 Stepper motors 2 x A4988 Stepper Motor Driver 1 x Arduino Uno 1 x Protoneer cnc shield v3 1 x 24v Power Supply 1 x Mac streaming gcode to arduino

GRBL firmware

Thanks for reading, any tips, trick, guides or pointers would be appreciated!

Tagged:

Answers

• Quick update for anyone finding this post at a later date. Not really an answer to the processing questions but I found an alternative approach using a nicely setup open source app called strippleGen (Looks processing based?) to generate TSP Art vector files these can then be converted into gCode using Inkscape. This looks like a promising approach to the problem but image quality seems to be a little low due to back lash issues with the etch-a-sketch but that's a problem for another day.