How can I scan a plant of a room with Arduino and draw it in Processing?

edited January 2018 in Arduino

Hi. How can I scan a plant of a room with Arduino and draw it in Processing?

Tagged:

Answers

• Break your problem down into smaller steps.

Can you draw things in Processing?

Can you draw them based on stored data?

Can you saved data coming from an Arduino?

Can your Arduino scan a plant of a room (like, at all)?

There's a lot to do. I would first make sure your Arduino can scan things. Does it have a scanner attachment? Or what?

• edited January 2018

is this a plan of a room? Without the t?

Do you have a plan on a sheet of paper that you want to scan?

Or - referring to your other question - do you want to use e.g. a laser distance measurement system from the center of the room to get the measurements of the room and derive a floor plan from that data?

Better write longer to get better answers instead of one short sentence.

• What do you have?

• What do you want to achieve?

• What is your plan to achieve your goal?

• What steps in the plan are missing or do you need more help with?

• I'm guessing that was a misspelling of "plan" and that OP wants to know if they can easily build a low cost alternative to the Occipital Structure Sensor and its iPad app -- done with an Arduino and a Processing sketch...?

If that is the question, then, briefly: no.

It is possible, but right now, even if you had a depth sensing device that was both cheap and good, extracting a reliable wireframe from sweeping a depth sensing camera around is incredibly hard to get right.

Here are some related DIY projects:

• Sorry. I try to give you more information. My final goal is get a 2D map of a room (or a house) with some obstacles scanned with Arduino. Then I can see it using Processing. In the other post I forget an important detail: after printing the map on screen I’ll be able to tap on an area and calculate the way to get Arduino there. It’s like a navigator. My budget is $50. For now the small goals are three: 1. Scan the room (and you send me some solutions and I’m considering which is my solution and if there is a solution that is good for me. 2. Recognize the streets 3. Calculate the itinerary.

Excuse me for my English: i’m an Italian high school student and I don’t speak English very well. So if I do other mistakes, please report them to me. PS: how do you do insert a number list?

• edited January 2018

How can I scan a plant of a room...
    I'm guessing that was a misspelling of "plan"...
    I’m an Italian high school student...

So you're Italian! But the way you've used the word plant matches Portuguese, as meaning an architectural blueprint, plan or outline: ;;)
    http://www.WordReference.com/pten/planta

• But in Italian you say piantina

• edited January 2018

Can piantina be used to mean the blueprint or the outlines of a house like in Portuguese? :-/

@jeremydouglass thinks you've misspelled plan as plant. :-?

My guess was that you've thought plant could be used to mean blueprint or outlines in English. #-o

• Ground floor plan

• My final goal is get a 2D map of a room (or a house) with some obstacles scanned with Arduino. [...] 1. Scan the room [...] 2. Recognize the streets 3. Calculate the itinerary.

I think by "streets" you mean "paths" -- moving inside the room, right, not something for cars outside the house?

And by itinerary, you mean a plan for the path inside the room -- a route, correct?

So is this for a robot that will drive through the room? You don't need a floorplan (walls, door), you need where objects are like chairs or tables so that the robot can drive around them?

• Yes (this is the answer for all your questions)

• Is the scanner in the robot, or do you set it up separately?

• edited January 2018

It is in the robot.

NOTE: the robot is a car (like this: )

• Is there a goal, or is the goal just to move without bumping into anything?

Is there a rule about what kind of sensor(s) you can use? Any distance sensor, proximity sensor, or camera? Or have you already chosen one, e.g. a laser sensor, ultrasonic sensor, or camera.

• At the moment I have only a lot of ultrasonic sensors

• I think you should buy something with a better resolution. Ultrasonic sensor detects objects inside a 30° cone !!! There is a cheap (about 40 euros, sorry for currency ;-) ) lidar with 1° resolution. I don't know if I can give its name :-/

• Can you give me any amazon link or any blog page that speaks about it?

• I understand you are european : Robotshop EU. I bought one in the french shop.