importing svg

Hey there,
I love to work with svg images. I'm running a Mac OS 10.9.1.
I bought BestImage Converter in the MacApp shop because it seems easily to convert normal pictures to svg-files. But it doesn't work.
I always get:
Ignoring title tag.
Ignoring desc tag.
Ignoring image tag.
...and no image shows up.
Can anybody help me how I can sole these problems? I don'y have the money to buy Illustrator. Isn't there another way? Do you HAVE TO convert photos with Illustrator to svg-files. Otherwise you can't use them in processing?

I'm a bit hopeless here.
Thanx so much
Peer

Answers

• Can you load in other svg images? It might be your program just includes raster images in a svg file (which is possible) instead of vector art, but obviously you don't get real vector art you can import. Possibly you just loaded in a raster image and saved as .svg, but that never works in any program. You need to trace it first. Does your program have a trace option?

• Hey, thanx for your answer. It's this programme: http://www.jalada.eu/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=336&Itemid=399&lang=de_AT

And yes, of course it works with the svg images of processing which are in the media-folder when you install the programme.

It's just so frustrating. I can't find a -payable- programme which can convert jpeg or png into svg.

The programme which I bought doesn't have a trace function. Thanx again. It would be cool if you would have some more advice for me.

• That doesn't quite look like a dedicated svg program. A free program is Inkscape (which has a basic trace function), not sure if that works on mac.

• Yes, it looks like it "converts" bitmap images to SVG by just embedding them as bitmap in the SVG file. No tracing there!

Indeed, Inkscape has a Mac version and can do some trace. It is a useful free tool to have if you want to manipulate SVG files.

• Ok...thanx so much guys...another 18euros for nothing :-P PhiLho, I just ask myself: how can you see that only a bitmap is embedded into the SVG file? What I'm looking for is to take photos of nature with abstract structures and manipulate them within processing which is very powerful if I have them as SVG files....so the big question is really how one can make easily SVG files out of normal photos.....

• An easy way is to open the svg image in a program and zoom in. If you start to see individual pixels, it's a raster image.

Creating SVG files from a photo is not a trivial task. The result will always be a "best fit" approximation. Inkscape has a basic trace function, but how well it can convert depends entirely on the source image. It works best with high-contrast images. You'll need to experiment a bit to get a decent result.

• Thanx so much guys !! That helps a lot..... I think I'll skip svg images and create my own structures with processing...that's more creative anyway ;-) all the best