Processing cutting down various features?

edited January 2014 in General Discussion

I didn't know where to put this question but I have kept it default.

The develeopers of newer version of processing are cuting down various feature and modes, why? Cutting down these features are neither increasing the speed of the processing nor helping in code developement.

featrues such as exporting code as applet (windwos, mac) and various modes (javascript, android) were helping the developers to create desktop applications.

can anyone explain, why?

I have raised this question from an old froum of processing where they were comparing the speed/performance of the Openframework and processing. Forum

Answers

• edited January 2014

Wow! You're really very l8 to the subject. Most of it was decided to be systematically cut off since the inception of Processing 2!!! 3:-O

They even wanna default JAVA2D gone to oblivion now!!! ~X(

• Yeah, I'm with you. It's frustrating. I wish they would have at least left certain features in as options, even if they weren't activated by default. The latest change of only being able to export to the platform you're running on is particularly annoying- I don't have access to a mac, so unless I come up with a strange solution, I have no way to deploy my Processing sketches to people with macs!

• Old Processing v1.5.1 was able to export a program (CTRL+E) as a unified ".jar" file applet! \m/
    Any machine w/ a proper Java runtime installed would be able to run that! :bz

• That's true, unless you used native libs or libraries like minim. You can still use a Processing application as an applet, but now by default Java won't run applets that haven't been signed with a paid certificate.

The solution to the applet problem seems to be wrapping Java applications up into packaged executables, but only having the natives for a single system makes that much harder. Very annoying, since the rest of Processing is so easy to use!

• That P1.5.1 tip I meant more about as a local running packaged ".jar" file rather than running as applet inside a browser!

• Well, if you use native libs (like if you use openGL), you can't deploy as a single jar- it's actually impossible since the native libs need to be on the file system, not in a jar. I bet even 1.5.1 would export multiple files in that case. Packaging your sketch up as an executable would work, but for that to work you need all the natives, not just the natives for the system you're currently in.

• edited January 2014

Reducing the number of features reduces the amount of code to maintain. I think that's the main motivation behind these cuts. Export to applet has been removed because browsers tend to disable them, and support is less and less effective.
    On the other hand, new version has also new features, like the data module. That's not so bad.

• I can agree that streamlining can be mostly good, and making things simpler can make things easier. However, removing the ability to export the natives for other operating systems seems like a step backwards- it doesn't make things easier or simpler, and it'll just be annoying for 90% of users who just want to deploy relatively simple sketches to other computers.

• edited January 2014

@GotoLoop :D Yes I am late on this topic because after a long time I was trying to use these feature. :D so when I tried searching these in new Processing IDE I got mad ~X( . I just got my android phone so I wanted to try programming some application on this and also I was doing some freelancing for people and they need application for demo purpose so when I tried exporting application using new Processing I couldn't find these so I went back to old version of processing which somewhere hiding in my laptop[ [-O< thanks god ]

• so I went back to old version of processing which somewhere hiding in my laptop.

Was it v1.5.1 or 2.0.3? :-?

• Processing v 1.5.1 stable B-)

• What couldn't you find?