How to record, store, and loop live video input from a Canon DSLR?

Answers

• edited October 2017

The library for reading video from a camera, playing back video, and creating video is Video, with the Movie object. It is built-in to Processing and comes with some example sketches to get started.

• Keep in mind that if you are trying to play back a wall of thousands of video clips then there are a lot of hardware and software considerations to make it technically feasible -- in that case, a Java-based language might not be the best choice for you, and you might want something like OpenFrameworks.

Is your application concept as intensive as the example you shared?

• Hi Jeremy, Thank you for getting back to me. When I run this code while my Canon 5D mark iii DSLR is connected via USB, Processing doesn't 'print' that the DSLR is 'available' to use:

import processing.video.*;

Capture cam;

void setup() { size(640, 480);

String[] cameras = Capture.list();

if (cameras.length == 0) { println("There are no cameras available for capture."); exit(); } else { println("Available cameras:"); for (int i = 0; i < cameras.length; i++) { println(cameras[i]); } } }

Any ideas on a solution around this?

In regards to your second comment, I am looking to create a sketch that captures 10-16 video clips—not 1000+ as shown in the example.

• You cannot directly acces a DSLR camera the way you acces your build in camera or an external usb camera, but there might be some libraries that will allow you acces: https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/6566/announcing-edsdk-processing-canon-slr-plugin-for-windows