Kōan: An Art Game made with Android Studio + Processing

edited April 2017 in Share Your Work

Hi there

I just released a minimal art game I made with Processing and Android Studio of which you can learn more here http://rich.gg/koan/koanEN.htm

I started with a concept developed on p5.js and thought it was simple enough to being translated into the first full fledged Android app I wanted to put on the Play Store

I first gave myself 3 to 4 month to make sure I was counting large in the time budget department. ...it actually took me a full year :S

All in all it has been a real learning adventure and I have to say I cannot count how many times I was faced with challenges I was not sur I could surmount.

Achievable goals people, Achievable goals !

And a big thank you to the Processing people and the Processing forum people who really help me started.

Cheers ! rich

ps: For some good reason I did give Kōan somewhat of a crazy price in the Play Store but if some of you want to give it a try you can drop me a mail and I'll give you a promocode to get it for free :)

Tagged:

Comments

• It is a crazy price. But if you reduce it to say 1$, you might actually sell and get some money.

• one year is quite long time to spend on a minimal game, and it gave me a lot of room to think and research about the price.

my wildest expectations on the distribution is 50, even if it was FREE (check the store and you'll find so many free apps that nobody ever tried)

So I thought, the money is not going to be a factor, nor the number of downloads. I wanted to put Kōan in the Play store as a personal achievement in developing things with Processing. Plus, it gives a little extra quality to it.

Then, why this 10 bucks barrier ? Simple, beside the "play store achievement" one thing I am interested in is the opinions and the ratings people would give to Kōan. But the opinion of anyone about anything is only worth the amount of interest someone has for that thing. And the opinion of someone who doesn't have enough interest to put 10 bucks or send me an email is better off the comment section, to me :)

• I see. Wise choice.

• edited April 2017

@phoebus
    I haven't tried your game but curious about your reasoning for the price.

ps: For some good reason I did give Kōan somewhat of a crazy price in the Play Store but if some of you want to give it a try you can drop me a mail and I'll give you a promocode to get it for free
    Then, why this 10 bucks barrier ? Simple, beside the "play store achievement" one thing I am interested in is the opinions and the ratings people would give to Kōan. But the opinion of anyone about anything is only worth the amount of interest someone has for that thing. And the opinion of someone who doesn't have enough interest to put 10 bucks or send me an email is better off the comment section, to me

Your game, your price, fine with that and not my businesses, still curious.
    Where did you get the idea that there's any correlation,
    between people buying expensive apps and people writing quality reviews?

Just spontaneously I can come with some bogus reasons making it cheaper.

People paying more for apps are more wasteful, thus you you're targeting wasteful people, and you don't care about their opinion right?

People paying more for apps has the higher expectations, thus you'll receive angrier reviews when those expectations aren't met, and you don't want to deal with that right?

• @prince_polka

People paying more for apps has the higher expectations, thus you'll receive angrier reviews when those expectations aren't met.

Exactly. That's useful to our OP. His (her?) aim wasn't to make money, and he believes that those who pay more will certainly write a review criticising every aspect of the game in detail. And those who email him, I guess he just appreciates them and gives them the game for free. I myself didn't understand that part.

• @prince_polka

the opinion of anyone about anything is only worth the amount of interest someone has for that thing. is my point.

I offer my art for free (! no commercial, no nothing !) to whoever has enough interest to write me an email AND to whoever doesn't want to bother with me but is into digital art enough to spend 10 bucks on it, it is just 10 bucks away

this is where my idea of "fair", "honest" and "generous" stands

And it is very importante to me not to confuse purchasing power and quality (or importance) of opinion. VERY MUCH

:)

• Now I'm confused.

• edited April 2017

#-o

• could you provide me with a link to your google play page?