Looking for a summer project

2»

Comments

• Well, views differ. For example, I had only met coders on the internet until last year, and I was already past the general "beginner" phase by then. I learned everything alone. So it depends on you. Some people can learn a lot without even leaving the comfort of their homes, others require a human, physically existing teacher.

Don't just try to learn all programming languages at once. Find one you like, and stick to it until you have finished a fair bit of it. Then the others will become super easy themselves. I liked Java, so I learned it first for a whole year before trying others.

@Chrisir No offense, but it isn't really important to have a good teacher for learning things. Sure, networks/teachers help, but they aren't nearly as important as determination and hard work. You can always read good books. (This is unless you meant books, videos etc are also "teachers" in a non-traditional sense.

• dealing with a beginner's misunderstandings can be stressful or annoying.(Emphasis added where corrections have been made)

Certainly not. Remember that everyone starts as a beginner, so those of us who have passed beyond that (And I must mention here, that by beginner I mean anyone who hasn't yet got a basic understanding of how to use the language to accomplish basic tasks. That doesn't mean that non-beginners know everything, just that they know enough not to get lost in the language too easily. Face it, even the most well read experts wouldn't know everything) should always help the beginners. And I do hope that you will help others too once you're comfortable with whatever languages you choose.

• edited April 2017

@Chrisir===

reading these posts gave me the idea to write a scrabble app (first java, then android)... for fun, because i never played to scrabble! - So, i got a look to rules and now think that it is not as simple (or short!) as you are saying. Score is not easy to code (with mult, letters && words) and so on (exchange letters, dictionnary...)... Yet i ll try (without looking to your code, at start i mean) - Now i think that i need 2 days for doing something correct and i ll post code here.

As for the moment i want only to code for 2 concrete players. Later, i would like to make the computer itself a player but i think that it s a long work; i know some things about neuronal but i am not at all sure that it is the good way in this case: if i was a computer i would be able to know all letters used till x moment, calculate the interest to loose a turn and exchange letters, calculate (from dictionnary) the chances to get "cards" more interesting: that has nothing to see with neuronal.

But i am not sure in this moment...

• nice, Lord_of_the_Galaxy are just doing Scrabble!!!

• @akenaton Don't you think we'd be able to do better if we (@Chrisir, you and me) just collaborated on the project (@Chrisir and I are already doing so, and it helped a lot - I doubt if I would've been able to do anything like that without his help)? We've already got most of the game ready, and an extra person will certainly help. Nonetheless, if you'd still like to go ahead alone, I have no objections, and would love to see your version.

• Damn us, we're destroying her post again :-t

• back home... quite everything solved (except corners) added= exchange method() i hope the to morrow i can put my code here (or github) then i compare to Lord_of_the_Galaxy and probably find ways to improve mine one