Processing Tutor to help learn how to achieve a melting/dribbling watercolor effect?

Hi I'm looking for a tutor to help me learn the skills needed to produce a processing visualisation of watercolour paint dripping down the screen. Paid of course..

It will be random in scale, speed and color (random colors initially)

A user is able to increase the flow rate of the drips I.e. number of drips on the screen

The scale / width of each drop stream is random but the user can modify the overall scale factor by using a plus or minus or key code..

I'm thinking a visual effect similar to this

https://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo-abstract-watercolor-rainbow-gradient-stain-watercolor-drips-isolated-on-white-background-elements-314093582.jpg

It is totally fine to use a liquid library or other existing.libraries to help achieve the effect..

I'm new to visualisation / artistic programming coming from a microsofty businessy programming background but I'd love to get more involved in the artistic side and would love some lessons..

Tagged:

Comments

• edited March 2017

(Just for information)
    The effect you're trying to get will be extremely computationally intensive, so you'll have to make sure that you're computer processor (and graphics card, if the liquid simulation may use GLSL) are up to the task. An Intel i7 6700K/7700K (or AMD Ryzen 7, if you bought recently) would be good enough, and if GLSL is used at least an AMD RX 480 8GB or Nvidia GeForce 1060 6GB graphics card (or equivalent) would do. That is, assuming you need a real time simulation and don't intend for using it to just save an image/video.

And I guess 2D fluid simulation is enough?

• Hi thanks for the info.. I've got a PC of that spec to demo it on.. I'm just very new to processing and programming for creative and visualisation.. I'm going to buy the processing books etc but was interested in even how to think about approaching a task like it..

• Even if I tried not for water colours but a paint drip effect

• If 2D is enough, a simple approach (no color yet) will be to simply simulate hundreds of balls in a physics engine, add some blurring and voila - it looks quite a bit like a liquid.

• Thank you yes it.will be 2d it would be nice to get the mottled hue change effects as well like this.. Any ideas on how to achieve something like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0FEqv6aZvXs

Thank you all for your replies.. I really appreciate it

• The PixelFlow library can do what you want, I think. But it's a lot more resource intensive than I like.

• Thanks! I had a look at pixel flow.. but I ended up just making circles! it was pretty straightforward :)