DO NOT DELETE YOUR POSTS

This is a public forum and we DO NOT DELETE THE ORIGINAL QUESTION. The forum allows members to edit their post to correct errors, format code etc. it is not intended that members destroy the context of the discussion making it useless to others.

Members give their time and expertise freely to help anyone interested in the topic, not just the OP. Deleting the original question after members have responded is disrespectful and extremely selfish.

This is the only warning you get, on the second offense you risk being permanently barred from the forum.

Comments

• Good of you to create this discussion. I was wondering if mods have the ability to restore the content of a post after it has been edited.

• I think it needs an administrator and it has to be done quickly because deletes can be permanent in a matters of hours.

To be honest I don't know of any admin that regularly visits the form since @PhiLho moved onto other things.

• edited March 5

Then we really need some sort of "Processing forum administrator", or at least they should appoint one of the mods to the post of an admin.

As much as I'd like to believe that this post will prevent all people from deleting their posts, I am sure that there will be some who won't read or won't bother about it. And I'm afraid nothing can change some people. Nonetheless, it should prevent the better people from deleting posts.

• edited March 5

I was wondering if mods have the ability to restore the content of a post after it has been edited.

I think it needs an administrator...

... and it has to be done quickly because deletes can be permanent in a matters of hours.

Any mod can restore deleted content. \m/
    I did that a lotta times. And I'm surprised other mods didn't notice it?! 8-}
    However, this forum is bugged. Not all deleted messages are available for recover. X(
    That can happen even for very recent deleted or edited posts! :-<

• @GoToLoop Then that's good. Though we should still ban those who won't listen even after being told by others.

• That's good. I agreed with you.

• Ain't it possible that set that users can't delete posts but only flag for a deletion request?

• They don't delete, they edit and remove all the content. And you can't really stop them from editing.

(I tried the moderator's restore option on the one this morning. It didn't get restored but did get deleted from the list of changes. Pah)

• Oh great. @GoToLoop Any idea why you can't restore any longer?

• edited March 23

It didn't get restored, but did get deleted from the list of changes. Pah!

• We can't automatically restore the starting post. It permanently fizzles if we dare to try! ~X(
    • But it works OK for the rest of the replies though. :P
    • My strategy to recover starting posts is to manually copy & paste them back. *-:)
    • However, many edited posts randomly fail to show up. So they get away from our powers! X(
  • Very strange. Things happening "randomly" is indicative of a not very well organised system, so that's what the forum is. That's why I said we could really be better off with a "Processing Forum Administrator", someone who could actually help repair all this.

• Do they delete cause it are school assignments?