Change Cursor in Eclipse / IntelliJ IDEA

edited February 2017 in How To...

Hi. I'm aware of how to change cursor type, set as image, etc in regular procesing.... but it doesn't work in Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA. I can't even turn cursor off. I wondered if anyone had success with this... amd if so, how? THANKS! I'm using Processing 2, btw... but believe 3 to be the same situation.

Tagged:

Answers

• @rudnik -- Hmm, have you searched the github code base under your relevant release version for the keyword "cursor"? For example, I see some notes and some build release notes in P3 on cursor() having issues in FX2D, P2D and P3D. Not sure if that is relevant.

https://github.com/processing/processing/search?utf8=✓&q=cursor

• @jeremydouglass Thanks for the suggestion. I did... along with googling the issue like mad. Posting here was more or less a hail mary that someone who overcame this might reply with their solution. It's a nice to have at this point, having had it on the back burner of bugs for a year.

• edited February 2017

In case anyone comes upon this problem in the future--- I have a hacky solution.

The visual problem with setting a cursor outside the Processing environment is that the cursor rapidly flashes back to an arrow. It's quite annoying, visually-- and unacceptable. Better to keep the arrow as is--- OR as I have figured out, hide it and present your own custom cursor.

Register your pre() function in setup with registerPre(this);

PImage cursorClear; //load up a transparent png-- nothing in it PImage cursorCustom; //this is a png of your prefered cursor void setup(){ size(500,500); registerPre(this); } void pre(){ setCursor(); } void setCursor(){ noCursor(); cursor(cursorClear); //the combination of noCursor() and calling an image of a transparent cursor causes the flickering to stop } void draw(){

//at very end of draw include this:
    image(cursorCustom,mouseX-cursorCustom.width/2,mouseY-cursorCustom.height/2);

}