Sketch doesn't start

edited February 2017 in Using Processing

hello,

i'm a teacher and in my school, we used to program with Processing on laptops with win xp.

we have received new laptops under win 7 - 64 (core i5, 8Go Ram), and i've downloaded Processing 3.2 for win 64bits. Processing starts very slowly (2/3 minutes minimum !) and then, when i write any sketch even like :

8>< - - - - - - - -

println("hello world");

8>< - - - - - - - -

nothing appears in console :-(

With Ctrl-alt-suppr, i can see that a processus java.exe is launched but nothing in the console... Both kinds of laptops are in the same network, without modification in preference.txt

is anyone has an idea to help me ?

Thanks,

Thomas (Sorry for my english, i'm french...)

Answers

• edited January 2017

Maybe Windows' firewall is blocking it?
    Processing's IDE (PDE) needs local network access in order to communicate w/ its spawned running sketch. BtW, latest version is 3.2.3:
    https://Processing.org/download/?processing

But in case latest version fails, you should try out older versions.
    For example 3.1.2, which I'm currently using in my 64-bit Win7 laptop: O:-)
    https://GitHub.com/processing/processing/releases/tag/processing-0251-3.1.2

In general, when running a new Processing version for the 1st time, pay attention when the firewall message pops up, and accept it. >-)

• OK Thanks, I'll try that on monday.

Thomas

• Hello, so i've tried again : when i login as admin, i can launch Processing and execute sketches normally; when i login as user, i can launch Processing (but it's very slow : 4-5 minutes) but i can't execute any sketch :-( I'm very disappointed because i have to use it with pupils who are users and not admin... Firewall is not activated on windows.

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

• edited February 2017

Given Processing IDE doesn't have a proper installer, it's merely a compressed file we should extract at some place, we shouldn't pick a "system" folder for it! :-SS

So avoid folders like "%ProgramFiles%" and such to "install" Processing.

For a multi-user environment, some place like "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Processing\" would be a safer choice, free from permission access! *-:)

• OK, thanks, i'll try it tomorrow but last week i tried putting processing folder in "My Documents" and it didn't work. I'll tell you tomorrow... Thomas

• Hello,

I tried to move processing folder but it didn't worked.

But i think i've found the problem : I had modified preference.txt with proxy adresses, but this morning my modifications were erased. So i put proxy adresses in preferences.txt and when i have closed processing, preferences.txt was automatically erased and re-created with no proxy adresses.

Then i modified it before launching processing and it worked : Processing launch quickly and sketches runs.

How to modify this erasing of my preferences.txt each time i close processing ?

Thanks again !

Thomas

• edited February 2017 Answer ✓

How to modify this erasing of my "preferences.txt" each time i close Processing?

Processing always overwrite "preferences.txt" when it's closing.
    Therefore we should close all PDEs instances before editing "preferences.txt". *-:)

• edited February 2017

OK, Thanks a lot. I'll try it tomorrow and hope i will answer "Yes" to "Did this answer the question ?" :)>-

Thomas

• YES ! It works.

Last question : is it possible to move path of preferences.txt (to put it in a shared folder) because pupils don't use same laptop each day so they'll have to modify this file each time they use a laptop they haven't use before ?

However, thanks a lot again !

Thomas

• edited February 2017 Answer ✓

Forcing "preferences.txt" to go to some fixed path makes all user accounts in the same OS to share their sketches, installed libraries, etc. :-S

In the folder you uncompressed the Processing program, inside its subfolder "lib/", there's a file called "defaults.txt".

That file functions as a template for the initial generated "preferences.txt" for each OS' user.
    That is, if we delete "preferences.txt" from a user, it's gonna be respawned based on "defaults.txt".

So you can change proxy settings there and hopefully each user gonna get that personalized "preferences.txt" if none exists already. :>

Apparently there's also a way to change where Processing expects its "preferences.txt"'s path to be.

In "defaults.txt", add settings.path= there, specifying the desired path for "preferences.txt"; for example your shared path. O:-)

That entry used to be part of Processing's old series.
    Dunno whether it still works for Processing 3 though. :-??

• OK that's clear. I'll modify default.txt and it will be ok.

Thanks again and see you soon on this forum =D>