How to output sketch to video file with audio via console

TSHTSH
edited October 2013 in How To...

Hi guys,

So I'm really struggling with this one. I have a sketch ready with synched audio. I would like to output the sketch into a video file be it, .mov or .mp4 I can't seem to figure out a way to do this via the console. Need some help.

I'm aware Processing 2.0 removed the MovieMaker class from the library, and that the application has the MovieMaker tool integrated but in this case I need to output the movie from console not the Processing app. I'm also using Minim for audio and need the movie file to include the audio as well.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Not sure what you mean by "via console", but several people said the best way might be to use a screen capture (with sound) utility, like Fraps or Camstasia.

• Thanks for your input PhiLho. What I meant was that I would like to run this server side. So Fraps wouldn't work as I won't have a screen to capture the video from. Any other solution you might think of?

One thing that could help would be a solution to output the audio to an audio file knowing that multiple audio inputs are being used (Minim) and it seems Minim can only output 1 input at a time.

• What is the machine it will run on (Mac, PC, or Linux)? Does the machine running it have "stereo mix" on the audio input options?

• rbrauer think Ubuntu server, so I don't think it will have "stereo mix" . Any ideas around the video file generation beside saveFrame() and ffmpeg?

• You should be able to run ffmpeg headless, so if you can get that setup and also get Processing to run headless you should be able to use this. Use the links in the last post.

Linux is pretty flexible. I think there are utilities to simulate a display device and maybe an audio one. I would try searches like "linux virtual audio device" or similar.

Have you tried running the sketch on the server machine? What kind of access do you have to the machine?

• rbrauer, I don't think your pastebin links work anymore, tried multiple times. Do you have your code somewhere else?

Yes my hope was to run ffmpeg headless. The challenge I'm also having now is on the audio front, no way it seems to easily generate an audio file from the minim output.

Haven't tried running the server yet, will do as soon as I figure out the audio part.

• edited October 2013

If you are able to find a virtual audio device you should be able to set the input to "stereo mix" which puts whatever is being played on the input where it should be possible to capture via my code and ffmpeg.

I'm pretty annoyed that my pastes aren't there anymore. I was kind of relying on that, but I probably have it somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find if I get time.

• I think I found your pastes

capEncodeBeta.pde capSendBeta.pde

Installing ffmpeg now, will give this a try. Thanks for your input!

• Wow, thanks for finding those. How did you do that? I was pretty disappointed when the old links didn't work.