Sensible to use Maxlink (with MSP) to control values within Processing 3.x sketches

edited January 2017 in Library Questions

Hi, I wish to explore interactive control of 3.x Processing sketches. Is MaxMSP a good way to go? And if it IS, is Maxlink a good way to harness it to control values within Processing sketches?

Tagged:

Answers

• edited January 2017

@Marc --

Is MaxMSP a good way to go?

What kind of interactive control? Can you say something more about what you are trying to accomplish?

Processing already has a lot of basic functions for interactive control with the mouse and keyboard.

If you want to create your own user interfaces, there are several Processing libraries for creating GUI elements like buttons and sliders.

There are also Processing libraries for control signals -- for example, if you create a sketch that listens for OSC messages, you can then control that sketch with a hardware control pad that produces OSC, or using a touchscreen control surface app such as TouchOSC. Or you could use UDP, etc.

The MaxLink library looks interesting -- I'm not familiar with it, but if you are already familiar with Max/MSP then it might be a good choice for you. You could also try Pure Data (PD).

• Hi Jeremy, and thanks for your generous response.

I'm trying to get variables used in a Processing sketch to be controlled by characteristics of music (frequencies, loudness) being "played to" it. But my question was a kind of preamble to this - I really wanted to know whether MSP and MaxLink are good, up-to-date and still supported.

Thanks for yours list of links - I will proceed to look at them.

Thanks again!

• Apologies for the double post, as I've tried to resolve the following issue through my own discussion.

There appears to be a very specific issue I'm running into. I now have the Maxlink library running correctly, however there appears to be something wrong on Max MSP's end. Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 10.33.16

The code relevant to the task of running Maxlink is below

import maxlink.*; MaxLink link = new MaxLink(this,"Coircle");

I'm hoping someone who has run Maxlink can help me with finding a solution to this issue. Thanks