3.2.3 fonts on splashscreen and in 'add libraries' messed up

edited January 2017 in Using Processing

Has anyone else seen anything like this? 3.2.3 on Windows 8.1 produces a splash screen that looks like this: Splashscreen

And similarly, the Library manager (Sketch->Import Library->Add Library):

Libraries

The editor itself looks fine and this only happens in 3.2.3. Versions 3.2.2 and earlier are fine. <Edit. Actually 3.2.1 and earlier are fine. 3.2.2 and later have the problem> Something has presumably changed in the way that fonts are handled in some parts of Processing. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong?

Answers

• Funny.
    Has anything else changed on your computer? (Literally anything from graphics card driver to Windows version, etc)

• We have seen this before, recently. But I can't remember the solution and can't sensibly search from my phone. User was using a non-English locale and the font was a bit unusual iirc.

• Answer ✓

found it (took about 20 minutes to find the correct choice of search words)

https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/19000/solved-buggy-typography-in-the-interface-on-windows-10

• To summarize -- this is currently an open Issue (4747) and the current recommended workaround is to delete the Source Sans Pro font, which is has two conflicting versions.

• Thanks everyone for tracking the earlier discussions down,

Deleting Source Sans Pro font from Windows solved the problem.

Having done some more testing and just to confirm what's already been discussed in 4747 I was mistaken in thinking that 3.2.2 worked. It didn't.

3.2.1 and earlier works fine.

3.2.2 and later showed the problem.

I'll comment on the 4747 discussion if I have anything to add. Adobe CC is also installed so the font could have been installed as part of that.

My machines are Windows 8.1 with the region set to United Kingdom and English (United Kingdom) set as the primary language.

• @Rpete -- thanks so much for contributing these details -- please do post them to the GitHub issue thread.