Getting user prompt for selectInput() to show under Mac OS X

I'm running El Capitan (Mac OS X 10.11.6) and PDE 3.2.2 and when I run the example sketch given for selectInput() there does not appear to be any user prompt at the top of the file selection dialog box -- what shows at the top of the dialog box is the name of the sketch. (As a side note, it seems to work fine on a Raspberry Pi3):

void setup() {
  selectInput("Select a file to process:", "fileSelected");
}

void fileSelected(File selection) {
  if (selection == null) {
    println("Window was closed or the user hit cancel.");
  } else {
    println("User selected " + selection.getAbsolutePath());
  }
}

I tripped over this with my own code, so I thought I would test the example sketch and it does the same thing. I'm still relatively new to P3, so I thought I'd check on the forum before I file a bug report on GitHub.

Andy

Answers

• The selectInput and selectFolder are OS specific so the dialog boxes can differ depending on your operating system.

• Interesting. On 10.10.5 Yosemite I am seeing the prompt text at the top of the dialog, so this isn't a OS-specific issue -- it might be version specific.

This might be a bug, or a feature request -- or at the very least a case of needing to update the documentation to clearly indicate that the argument won't be used.

• Raspberry Pi is Linux based so will use the JavaSwing control. Mac OSX will use the native Osx control and on Windows it is possible to select between native and JavaSwing.

Might be a JavaFX rather than JavaSwing control now we are with Java 8

• I found a MacBook Pro 17 that had Mavericks on it and, with P3 3.2.3, it works fine there too. Guess it's an El Cap problem then? Should I file a bug report? (I'm still new enough to P3 to appreciate guidance on the protocol I should use to report bugs.)

Under El Cap I'm using Java 1.8.0_111:

andy$ /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version
    java version "1.8.0_111"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_111-b14)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.111-b14, mixed mode)

Andy.

• Definitely submit something to Processing issues. Provide complete details, of course!