processing for an event

edited December 2013 in General Discussion

Hello... I've been admiring Processing visuals for a while now, and even had help once getting a generative image added to the background of a page on our old site, as part of a release. The musician who coded this also gave me the software so that everyone that purchased a copy of the album got their own unique cover art.

What I'm looking to do now though is create a page that various Processing patterns on my newer wordpress site that move along with music. They'll be reactive to music coming from an embedded player from Mixlr.com, or possibly another if this doesn't work. We'll have people dj'ing their music, and the visuals behind the player moving nicely to the sounds.

Now though I need to put up a new one for every song. Or at least every few songs, as we have lots of great coders/artists who are willing to contribute their work.

So I need to know how to 1) add Processing the the background of a wordpress page, and 2) include any hours worth of different programs, with a method of switching from one to the other quickly. Probably the viewers will have to refresh the page to get the update, but would be even better if they didn't.

Is this possible fairly simple, or quite challenging? I may have to hire an expert, however if it is doable for a novice, with some guidance, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,

PK

Answers

• I don't want this post to go unanswered so I will try my best to address your points. 1) To embed processing on a website you can make it an applet(not recommended) or you can code it with this sister project and include it as a <canvas> in the background. Applets are on the way out, some browsers can't even play them. 2) I am not sure what you are asking?

• ... some browsers can't even play them.

It's not the browser which "plays" them, but the Java's runtime already installed in the system!
    A browser merely embeds the app inside itself through the respective program's plugin!

• Thanks! This sister project seems like they might be able to help.