Cannot find class or type named "EXAMPLE"

edited November 2016 in Kinect

I keep getting this error, and I don't know why it is not working.

// Daniel Shiffman // Tracking the average location beyond a given depth threshold // Thanks to Dan O'Sullivan

// https://github.com/shiffman/OpenKinect-for-Processing // http://shiffman.net/p5/kinect/

ParticleSystem ps; import org.openkinect.freenect.*; import org.openkinect.processing.*;

PImage texture; // The kinect stuff is happening in another class KinectTracker tracker; Kinect kinect;

void setup() { size(640, 640); kinect = new Kinect(this); tracker = new KinectTracker(); ps = new ParticleSystem(0,new PVector(width/2,height-60),texture); }

void draw() { background(0); // Run the tracking analysis tracker.track(); // Show the image tracker.display(); PVector v1 = tracker.getPos(); PImage texture = loadImage("texture.png"); texture.resize(200, 200); image(texture, v1.x -100, v1.y -100); // fill(#ff9999); //ellipse(v1.x, v1.y, 100, 100);

// Display some info int t = tracker.getThreshold(); fill(255); text("threshold: " + t + " " + "framerate: " + int(frameRate) + " " + "UP increase threshold, DOWN decrease threshold", 10, 500);

// Calculate a "wind" force based on mouse horizontal position float dx = map(mouseX,0,width,-0.2,0.2); PVector wind = new PVector(dx,0); ps.applyForce(wind); ps.run(); for (int i = 0; i < 2; i++) { ps.addParticle(); }

// Draw an arrow representing the wind force drawVector(wind, new PVector(width/2,50,0),500);

}

// Renders a vector object 'v' as an arrow and a location 'loc' void drawVector(PVector v, PVector loc, float scayl) { pushMatrix(); float arrowsize = 4; // Translate to location to render vector translate(loc.x,loc.y); stroke(255); // Call vector heading function to get direction (note that pointing up is a heading of 0) and rotate rotate(v.heading()); // Calculate length of vector & scale it to be bigger or smaller if necessary float len = v.mag()*scayl; // Draw three lines to make an arrow (draw pointing up since we've rotate to the proper direction)

popMatrix(); }

class ParticleSystem {

ArrayList particles; // An arraylist for all the particles PVector origin; // An origin point for where particles are birthed PImage img;

ParticleSystem(int num, PVector v, PImage img_) { particles = new ArrayList(); // Initialize the arraylist origin = v.get(); // Store the origin point img = img_; for (int i = 0; i < num; i++) { particles.add(new Particle(origin, img)); // Add "num" amount of particles to the arraylist } }

void run() { for (int i = particles.size()-1; i >= 0; i--) { Particle p = particles.get(i); p.run(); if (p.isDead()) { particles.remove(i); } } }

void run() { for (int i = particles.size()-1; i >= 0; i--) { Particle p = particles.get(i); p.run(); if (p.isDead()) { particles.remove(i); } } }

// Method to add a force vector to all particles currently in the system void applyForce(PVector dir) { // Enhanced loop!!! for (Particle p: particles) { p.applyForce(dir); }

}

void addParticle() { particles.add(new Particle(origin,img)); }

}

void run() { update(); render(); }

// Method to apply a force vector to the Particle object // Note we are ignoring "mass" here void applyForce(PVector f) { acc.add(f); }

// Method to update location void update() { vel.add(acc); loc.add(vel); lifespan -= .5; acc.mult(0); // clear Acceleration }

// Method to display void render() { tint(255,lifespan); image(texture,loc.x,loc.y-200); // Drawing a circle instead // fill(255,lifespan); // noStroke(); // ellipse(loc.x,loc.y,img.width,img.height); }

// Is the particle still useful? boolean isDead() { if (lifespan <= 0.0) { return true; } else { return false; }

}

// Adjust the threshold with key presses void keyPressed() { int t = tracker.getThreshold(); if (key == CODED) { if (keyCode == UP) { t+=5; tracker.setThreshold(t); } else if (keyCode == DOWN) { t-=1000; tracker.setThreshold(t); } }

}

Answers

• edited November 2016

@FlyBurgerFly

To help others read your problem (and copy / test your code) please edit your post, highlight your code, format your code with CTRL-o, and save.

Did you create a folder named EXAMPLE and put the sketch file in it, then try to run it in the Processing IDE?

Don't do that. Instead, open a new sketch, paste the code in. When you save it, the enclosing folder and the main file will be renamed to have the same name. E.g.:

MyOpenKinect / MyOpenKinect.pde

It needs to be this way to compile; Processing handles making the folder and file names match automatically when you start in Processing.

• @jeremydouglass I tried doing that, but now I get this error.

Exception in thread "Thread-245" java.lang.NullPointerException at processing.app.SketchCode.getDocumentText(SketchCode.java:228) at processing.app.ui.Editor.prepareRun(Editor.java:2716) at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor.prepareRun(JavaEditor.java:1781) at processing.mode.java.JavaEditor$34.run(JavaEditor.java:1095) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

• I don't know. Maybe try:

• Closing Processing and reopening it.
    • Launching an example sketch from the examples menu -- does nothing run, or just not this sketch?
    • If this is a p5.js sketch, have you confirmed that you are in p5.js mode, and not default / Java mode?
    • Did Processing ever work before, or is this the very first time using it on this machine? If nothing at all is working, have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it?