background substraction only with kinect?

edited December 2013 in Kinect

Hi, i was wondering if its possible to do background substraction only with the kinect library and not using opencv?

I need that my point cloud dont trigger anything if there is no significant change in the values of each point. It only should trigger the points only when there is a significant change with respect of the previous frame. I need to get an array with the points that had significant change.

Which is the best way of achieving this ?

Comments

• You can remove everything over a certain distance threshold fairly easily by checking the value of the depth image. There's also a frame differencing example in the Processing examples (under video/capture) which should be easily adaptable to work with the Kinect image.

Hope that helps.

• Have you seen frame difference example from processing example. It doesn't use any CV library and you don't need kinect to do this but in case if you exclusively want to do this with kinect only then you can do this by recording point cloud of current frame and compare it with the next frame and so on.

• I need to do it with kinect because i need to sonify the point values that have changed iif we compare with its previous frame.

I think as you say ,i need to record the point cloud of the current frame and compare it with the next frame. I was wondering that maybe theres already a method or somebody have tried this in the past.

cheers