Processing 3.2.1 does not launch after showing splash screen

edited October 2016 in Using Processing

Hello Processing Forum! I have recently downloaded Processing 3.2.1 to use in my programming class. I was able to run and use it successfully immediately after unpacking it, but subsequent attempts to launch the program resulted in only the splash screen appearing and disappearing without Processing launching. After reading the troubleshooting article, I deleted my "preferences.txt" document. This fixed the problem only temporarily, however, as I was only able to run Processing once after deleting the document. Would anyone be willing to provide any other suggestions?

Computer specs: Windows 10 Home 64-bit; version 1607, build 14393.222. Processor = AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon HD Graphics. 8.00GB memory. I have Arduino 1.0.6 installed and working properly. Java is out of date.

Many many thanks!

Answers

• edited October 2016
    • It's hard. Another very common issue is the firewall. The PDE needs the network in order to communicate w/ the running sketch.
    • It's also a good precaution to unpack the PDE away from any OS' system folders, like "%ProgramFiles%" for example.
    • I'd also recommend the previous version 3.1.2 instead of 3.2.1. :-\"
  • Ok, I downgraded to 3.1.2. I unpacked the zip to the root of my C drive, added firewall inbound and outbound exceptions for both processing.exe and processing-java.exe. Also, I added exclusions in Avast! for the processing3.1.2 directory and for the processing data directory in c:/users/appdata/roaming/processing. I still get the splash screen and no program.

I am running Covenant Eyes (a web keylogger) on my computer...would that mess with the program? It says that it only logs internet usage.

• I totally forgot to post the content of DebugMode0.log

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252" standalone="no"?> <!DOCTYPE log SYSTEM "logger.dtd"> 2016-10-04T20:21:15 1475626875888 0 java.util.prefs WARNING java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init> 14 Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

• Sorry, those were my only troubleshoot advises I've got.
    You should try to temporarily turn off your web keylogger maybe. :-<