Disable blank sketch on startup

edited December 2013 in Using Processing

Is it possible to do this? Or more specifically if opening a PDE don't create one?

Answers

• What exactly do you want to happen? Are you talking about the PDE or the sketch that pops up when you hit play?

• I think he means the blank sketch that appears when Processing starts. It kind of drives me crazy too when Processing was not active, I load a sketch, and the blank appears along with the sketch I loaded.

• That doesn't seem to happen for me. When I open a sketch, all I get is that sketch, not an extra blank sketch along with it. (I'm on Windows 7, Processing 2.0)

• It seems to be a Mac OS issue. I do see it on OS X 10.8.5, Processing 2.0.3.

• Thanks for replies, I'm on OSX 10.9, Processing 2.1.

If I open an existing PDE I get a blank sketch behind it which I have to close each time, screengrab below:

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 20.32.01

• Same here on Mac OS 10.8. It happened with all version of Processing I ever had. I always assumed it was some sort of weird feature.

• Answer ✓

I see this on Windows as well. Indeed, this is expected behavior... There is presently no code in the PDE to consolidate sketch windows (or if there is, it isn't enabled). There is no distinction made between opening a sketch from another sketch and opening a sketch from a blank sketch; the result is the same. There was once functionality to open a sketch in the same window when using the Button Bar "Open", but this was removed in the switch to 2.0. I do think that opening over a blank sketch would make sense, but I do not see it as a necessity, especially with the drastically improved loading times of the editor (for me, at least).

• Thanks for the detailed answer, Seems a bit of a nuisance but I guess it's a case of ignoring it/dealing with it because there's no easy fix.