sketches not running

edited August 2016 in Using Processing

Hi

I had processing working fine (version processing-3.1.1 x 64). Then the problem started when I installed some libraries. Processing loads however the sketches are not running when I press play. However I get no Errors !

Even a simple

void setup() { size(200,200); }

void draw () { println("test"); }

Does not return "test" in the console or at least an error !!

I have disabled the Antivirus. I have windows 10 I downloaded (version processing-3.1.2 x 64) & deleted my Sketch book location (C:\Users\User\Documents\Processing) I deleted all my temp folders. I also tried starting with the launch4j but I get no errors in there as well.

I will appreciate any help as I no longer have a clue.

Answers

• how about

void setup() { println("setup"); }

void draw () { println("test"); }

• Hi

I tried your suggestion.

Unfortunately nothing happens when I press play. And the worse part is that I get no errors.

I have discovered there are other threads with the same problem. However nobody seems to have a conclusion.

• edited August 2016

Also seen at https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/comment/56825/#Comment_56825

And https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/12578/sketches-not-running

I have the same problem. I've noticed that after attempting to run a sketch, a Java process is created but does nothing, and the same console message

Setting 'Run Sketches on Display' preference to display 1

others have reported appears. Then after closing and attempting to reopen Processing nothing happens beyond the splash screen appearing briefly. Deleting the preferences.txt file will allow Processing to open again, but still with the original problem. If I change the "instance_server.key" and "instance_server.port" to 0 in the preferences.txt file that works the same as deleting the file.

In the "debug" folder a there is log file that contained

Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

This led me to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5354838/java-java-util-preferences-failing . I tried running Processing as administrator to no effect and checked the Registry. Everything seemed to be in order, but I'm out of my depth when it comes to making changes there.

One other clue, when Processing is up and running and I attempt to run a sketch, as I said, a process is created, but nothing happens. These "Java(TM) Platform SE binary" processes stay opened even after closing Processing. If I end the process with Processing still running then I get a console message:

Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize).

My uneducated theory is that Java never successfully launches the sketch. Therefore the Processing instance never closes (or disconnects from the server or whatever you call it). Thus Processing thinks it is already open and does not create another instance.

@didili Suggested uninstalling Eclipse solved it, but I don't have Eclipse. The only reference to Eclipse on my computer is in the files installed with Processing.

Anyone who knows more about Java and Windows might be able to figure this one out, and I would appreciate it.

Running Win10 and Processing 3.1.2

• Have you tried disabling the firewall? Processing's PDE communicates to its running sketches via the local network.
    When we 1st run any new Processing version, the OS should ask whether it should allow the PDE to access the local network or not.

• My firewall is off but I have a proxy which is beyond my control. However I have disabled the processing request for updates.

• Where do we find more information about "... communicates to its running sketches via the local network"? I'm having a similar problem with Arduino IDE not being able to connect for adding libraries and new boards. Sounds like it is a network issue, but I'd like to give my support people better info since they probably aren't familiar with Processing.

Incidentally, has anyone ever pointed out that "Processing" is a super confusing name to use for a programming related product. I can't wait to explain to tech support, " Processing isn't working while I'm running your product." "Processing? You mean like your processor? Have you tried turning it off and on again..."

• I have the same problem on my Windows 7 (64bit) with a new installation of processing-3.2.1-windows64.zip It launches once, but will not run any (simple) code. Console shows: "Setting 'Run Sketches on Display' preference to display 1" A java process is left hanging in Taskmgr. (Process properties show its location as: mydir\Processing\java\bin)

If I delete preferences file from C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Processing, it will launch once more.
    The next time I try to launch processing.exe, the splash screen shows for a minute and then, nothing. The console folder has a 160914_0550.err file containing only: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252" standalone="no"?> <!DOCTYPE log SYSTEM "logger.dtd">

So, same situation as JustBennett above. Processing v2.2.1 runs ok on my machine.

Any solution for this?

• edited November 2016

nevermind