Simple-OpenNI Version 1.96 - target VM failed to initialise

edited October 2013 in Kinect

Hi,

I installed OpenNi and OpenSimpleNI on my iMac running OS X Version 10.7.5 and tried some of the Samples from the Examples folder (File/SimpleOpenNI) and I get the following error every time.

SimpleOpenNI Version 1.96 Invalid memory access of location 0x0 eip=0x15c171ec Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize). For more information, read revisions.txt and Help ? Troubleshooting.

I have re-installed the libraries and re-started everything, including shutting down the machine to no avail.

The Kinect works with Shiffman's Kinect API with no problems, so am at a loss.

Please help!

Thanks

Answers

• Hi I am having the same exact problem: SimpleOpenNI Version 1.96 Invalid memory access of location 0x0 eip=0x1a7221ec Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize).

• I'm having the exact same problem. Re-installed, rebooted, etc, etc. Nothing has worked to fix this.

• edited October 2013

Same thing here with OsX 10.6.8 and SimpleOpenNi 1.9.6!

SimpleOpenNI Version 1.96
    Invalid memory access of location 0x0 eip=0x251541ec

Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize).

EDIT: Actually, the problem seems also to be linked to the use of the plugin "libusb-1.0.0.dylib" so maybe it is some usb problem. In the book "Making things see" Borenstein says:

However, your sketch may raise an error and fail to start. If it does it will print out a message in the Processing window. The most common of these messages is this:

Invalid memory access of location 0x8 eip:0xb48d8fda

If you see this it most likely means that your kinect is not plugged in or not fully powered. Make sure your kinect is connected to a power outlet and plugged into power. Some laptops will provide inadequate power to their USB ports when running off a battery.

• Hi everyone I exactly have the same problem with OS X.9 and Simple0penNI 1.9.6 Invalid memory acces of location 0x0 eip=0x349841ec (Target VM failed to initialize) Is there anybody to find "things to do". before I had a problem with installing libusb-devel with terminal, Terminal won't install this library, I don't find the file in my /opt/local/var/macports file. Thanks a lot

• edited December 2013

Same problem. Anybody has found a solution? Please. I'm using Macbook Pro, Mac OS 10.9, Processing 2.03 and SimpleOpenNI 1.96. Invalid memory access of location 0x0 eip=0x163c11ec And a "quit unexpectedly while using the libusb-1.0.0.dylib plug-in" message at VM. Thanks,

• having the same problem on my mac.

"SimpleOpenNI Version 1.96 Invalid memory access of location 0x0 eip=0xb8c021ec

Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize). Make sure that you haven't set the maximum available memory too high. For more information, read revisions.txt and Help ? Troubleshooting."

has anyone found any solution yet?

• came across this site: http://code.google.com/p/simple-openni/issues/detail?id=75 with some useful info on how to fix the issue. mine was fixed by applying the answer #10. hope this helps.