How to make SimpleOpenNI to work with Kinect and Processing

edited June 2016 in Kinect

Hi everyone! I'm a complete beginner in Kinect - Processing integration and I stumbled to some issues. Trying to follow the book "Making things see" by Greg Borenstein and stumbled upon a problem of getting to run anything that involves SimpleOpenNI library. I'm using Processing 2.2.1 and SimpleOpenNI 1.96. Bellow I put code I'm trying to run and error message. If someone can give me an advice how to proceed I would be very grateful.

This is the sample code from the begining of the book and I was not able to get it running.

import SimpleOpenNI.*;
SimpleOpenNI kinect;

void setup() {
     size(640*2, 480);
  kinect = new SimpleOpenNI(this);

kinect.enableDepth();
  kinect.enableRGB();

}

void draw(){
  kinect.update();
  image(kinect.depthImage(), 0, 0);
  image(kinect.rgbImage(), 640, 0);
}

The error message is: SimpleOpenNI Version 1.96

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

SIGILL (0x4) at pc=0x00000001a623d0b4, pid=726, tid=57099

JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_55-b13) (build 1.7.0_55-b13) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.55-b03 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops) Problematic frame: C [libfreenect.0.1.2.dylib+0x40b4] freenect_camera_init+0x178

Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again

An error report file with more information is saved as: /Users/zeljko/Documents/Processing/libraries/SimpleOpenNI/library/osx/hs_err_pid726.log

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit: http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code. See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

After initialization:

Could not run the sketch (Target VM failed to initialize). For more information, read revisions.txt and Help → Troubleshooting.