How to create notifications, even when the app is closed.

edited May 2016 in Android Mode

Okay I am new to android app development! I have been using ketai lib. to creat my apps so far and everything went super smooth.

But now when I searched how to create notifications using processing, I found things getting complicated. I thought I will have an another lib. to perfrom notification action. But I was wrong.

Can some one help me with a code on how to handle notifications in android. (OR) Suggest me where to start learning https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/notifiers/notifications.html#CreateNotification I started here, but was not able to understand a line.

Its okay if it would take a lot of time for me to read and understand, I am ready to go trough it. I would be happy, if someone could show me the code also!!

Tagged:

Answers

• edited May 2016

@Aswinth_Raj===

I have done notification in a professional app: for simple notification it s easy using the notification service manager. It is more complicated if you want that the notification appears at a moment choosen by the user (hour, day...); it becomes an headache if you want that the notification remains EVEN when the app is destroyed or on reboot by the user, which seems to be what you are looking for: in this case you have to save your notification or alarm in the preferences, then create a method in your launcher which is called at launch with an intent android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED. I have done that with Eclipse and native android, so i know that it is possible. But with p3!!! And knowing that you have not be able to understand a line from the android tuto.....

• I have enough time to learn, I am a newbie. I dont mind spending days and nights in trying to work this out. I just wanna know where to start, And I have spent almost a month with P3 and have made an app with some decent UI, bluetooth connectivity to Microcontroller and some SQLite. Everything was done with the help of Ketai lib. and a book by Daniel sauter. Hence now I cant roll back to use Eclipse, ;-(..

May be I will dig deep into android auto and try to figure out whats happening.

Just seeking some help or guidance here.

• @Aswinth_Raj===

Sorry but P3 is not made (in my mind) to replace Android; it seems to be more simple till you dont ask for things like services, notifications and so on. At this moment you have to use the android native code and classes and it is more complicated than with eclipse or AS...

• Okay akenaton, Thanks for your time. I would start from scratch with Android native coding. Happy to so ppl guiding me online, with this support I am sure that I will learn soon. I have already started with https://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/creating-project.html

Thanks again!

• @Aswinth_Raj === that is the good way! - Be patient....