New to Processing/coding and a music video question

Hello and Universal Greetings to all. I've been trying to learn this for about a year or so and finally have got the courage up to take on my 1st project--making a music video. I want to learn real-time graphics with this software and before I ask my question I want to say that I ALREADY SEEN THE VIDEO TUTS SO DON'T SEND ANY LINKS TO THEM!

I'm planning on doing this project very soon and wanted to know if I could use some source codes like the ones here:

http://www.openprocessing.org/

is there a chance that minim and Processing could be reactive with these graphics? I don't know how to make my own code or anything like that so I want to use a source code until I get my feet a lil' more wet up to my ankles if not kneecaps. I saw the video tutorials and am confused as to how to make that happen with a source code. Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tagged:

Answers

• Get one of the many great books on starting with Processing and start experimenting with a little program at a time. That way you can focus on those aspects you're interested in (graphics, video processing, video overlay, etc.). There really is no "short-cut" from starting slowly and learning, whether you start coding small apps or jump into someone else's deep end. Since you don't know programming, you need to invest some time to get your head around coding and basic principles, but doing so can be very rewarding and fun.

Tweaking an existing program from openprocessing.org or similar sources can also be fun but you run a higher risk of getting lost in someone else's code. It's a learning process that can work for some, but not everyone. You'll find having a good reference book at your fingertips invaluable at the beginning.

Best of luck

• Hello, I work on complex project Romanesco with music and generative graphic maybe can you be interesting, very soon I'll drop the code on Github so you can go to look to make your idea : http://romanescoproject.wordpress.com/ and you can find a few pieces of code of this project here https://github.com/StanLepunK

• **To Hondaman sigh

......dude what did I say? I don't need you giving me links or some answer telling me where to go. I know I didn't make it too clear but I should say that before I dived into trying to learn Processing I did try to take a few on-line courses this past summer on coding with Python on Codecademy and some other site that I can't remember (and before you say something I'm going to say that I ALREADY KNOW PYTHON AND PROCESSING ARE FORMATTED DIFFERENTLY, PROCESSING IS JAVASCRIPT-BASED, SO SAVE YOUR CORRECTED RESPONSE. After trying to learn on my own and getting frustrated with the confusion I decided to learn through video tuts, learning this stuff on your own is difficult. I also dl'ed a few books on the software hence me following on-line tutorials. All I asked for was some advice or assistance and if all you can give me is the same typical response of "well you need to go here or there" and dropping links I have to kindly tell you not to respond again because you are NOT telling me what I need to know, just what I already know.

To Stanlepunk

Pretty interesting and cool work you have there but what the hell is Romanesco? Is that some software you came up with? I like your results and am aiming to create my own stuff which is why I wanted to start off with other source codes, I'm a hands-on type of person which is why I got bored with all those lessons on Codecademy (methinks I need to go back and pick up where I left off to get a better handle of coding and how it works). I just wanted to know where I place the source code in conjunction with the minim code and such, I can pick up the rest. The last thing I need is another dumb response on "you should do this 1st". If I didn't post that I've followed the tuts that dude probably would've posted the links to those.**

• thks,

I don't understand what you mean about Minim conjunction ?

• I'm talking about how it's formatted, when the code for minim is scripted where is the source codes for the animation going?

• What exactly do you mean by "where is the source codes going"?

Honestly, if you're not sure how libraries work, it's probably best to take a step back and start with the basics. Getting grouchy at tutorial suggestions probably isn't the best way to proceed.

Start with something basic, and work your way up.

• Processing is Java based and has a JavaScript "mode" for web

Chances are that you should practice making visuals that can be controlled to speed up or slow down in plain Processing. Then later they could be controlled by music after adding a library.