Minim very high on CPU, Sound Library and Java Minidumps conflict...

edited April 2016 in Library Questions

Hi, I develop a program on a i7 (quad core). This program load a lots of short sounds (around 500) in minim AudioSample[] with minim.loadSample. No pb here, CPU stay around 30%. But I need to run it on a i5 (dual core), but here CPU get very high (100%...). I thougth using minim.loadSample load sound in RAM, I don't get why CPU go so high. Is there a more efficient way to load/play these samples? Use Sampler array instead of AudioSample array? I try aswell to change the buffer size, some improvements, but not enough... Any help would be appreciate, thanks! Adrien

Answers

• Ok, I try with Sampler[], it's really more efficient on CPU, but sounds are very glitchy...Is it because I patch all sound through the same Output (minim.getLineOut)? Is there a way to change the buffer size with sampler (I know you can with AudioSample, didn't find it with Sampler).

• Changed the sample buffer of the output, but very glitchy sounds...

• You'll need to post a runnable example in order to get any feedback for this, I think.

• Hi, I actually change my code and use the processing sound library (by the way, I wasn't able to use it until I try rachelye solution here : https://github.com/processing/processing-sound/issues/60 ). It's obviously really more efficient considering CPU ressource. But still have problem : I load, with a thread, my files, with loop like this one for (int i = 0; i < trailNoteNbr; i++) { pianoNotes[i] = new SoundFile(this, "piano-"+i+".wav"); musicBoxNotes[i]= new SoundFile(this, "mb-"+i+".wav"); mbCleanNotes[i]= new SoundFile(this, "mbClean-"+i+".wav"); chromaNotes[i]=new SoundFile(this, "cgk-"+i+".wav"); harpNotes[i]=new SoundFile(this, "harp-"+i+".wav"); vwgkNotes[i]=new SoundFile(this, "vwgk-"+i+".wav"); }

I have quite a few like this, but for a reason I don't undersand, I have to comment the last one :

for (int i = 0; i < mouth.length; i++) { //mouth[i] = new SoundFile(this, "mouth-"+i+".wav"); titreAlf-=3; titreAlf=constrain (titreAlf, 0, 255); } If I don't comment it, Processing gimme this error :

" fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment: #

Internal Error (0x20474343), pid=2172, tid=3472

#

JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_51-b16) (build 1.8.0_51-b16)

Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.51-b03 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)

Problematic frame:

C [KERNELBASE.dll+0x8a5c]

#

Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows"

If I comment it ( mouth[i] = new SoundFile(this, "mouth-"+i+".wav"); )it run on my i7 quad core.

But...

I can't use sound library (even the simple exemple) on my i5 computer. I install exactly the same processing version, the same sound library, the same Java version, but I everytime the same Java runtime error, even if I make an export...The only difference is on the i5 I have windows 8.1 pro, and on my i7 windows 8.1...) Does somebody has clues to make my sketch run on the I5, or why I have this Java error and how to fix it?

Thanks for your help guys!

Have a great day, Adrien

• I have quite often this kind of message error aswell : "ERROR: /node/free: Node id -1 out of range "