Dividing is inaccurate?

I'm trying to resize an image so that it fits my sketch-size and because I need it to work for any picture in any size I will have to use this formula: widthOfImage/heightOfImage = difference and later: difference * newWidthOfImage

But when I say image.width/image.height I get an int in return. Which makes the result very inaccurate especially when the difference is around 1.

Why is that and can I fix it? or work around it?

Thanks in advance :)

Tagged:

Answers

• Answer ✓

If I understand your problem correctly, there are no "fractional pixels" in a display. Their x, y coordinates are integers so rounding is necessary. I don't know of any way to apply an image with a fractional component to a screen display.

• edited January 2016

Ok, as I expected the problem occurs because the numbers I'm dividing are both integers, so the result is also an integer, at least according to GoToLoop in this discussion: https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/13417/problem-with-making-a-window-size-scale#latest

He says it's possible to force a floating point value by making one of them a float, so I can actually just do this:float iwidth = image.width; and use "iwidth" in the equation.

• It will still round however when the image is displayed as it still maps to an integer space. So, if the display error is acceptable that's cool.