Using createSelect() example, Not yet implemented error.

I'm using the reference for createSelect() to make a drop down list, but the function that is called when I select a different option of the list doesn't work. Here is the code:

var audioSignal;

function setup() {
  createCanvas(640, 480);
  smooth();
  background(0);

audioSignal = new p5.AudioIn()

audioSignal.getSources(function(sourceList) {
    //print out the array of available sources
    audioList = createSelect();
    audioList.position(20, 20);
    for (var i = 0; i < sourceList.length; i++){
      audioList.option(sourceList[i].label);
    }
    audioList.changed(selectInput);
  });

}

function draw() {
}

function selectInput() {
  print(audioList.value());
}

So what doesn't work is selectInput(), as I've tried to narrow down the error with print statements. This is what is printed out in the console: 21994: Uncaught not yet implemented

Anyone have any ideas? It's basically a copy of http://p5js.org/reference/#/p5/createSelect

Answers

• you're passing a function code to getSources...

Is this possible?

better call it as a separate function and use the value audioList.value() to pass to getSources()

• you're passing a function code to getSources... Is this possible?

I believe this is a famous js anonymous function. very much common in callbacks.

In js people use to define functions like this all the time, sometime even nested functions... Like:

someFunc( parm1, function (function(){//some code}){//code });

very messy IMHO

• @SimplyEnvision: change the name of you callback function: 'selectInput' has been attached to p5.prototype: essentially it's the equivalent of a reserved word. Try:

function inputChanged() {
      print(audioList.value());
    }

• you're passing a function code to getSources...

@Chrisir: therein lies the power of JS. @_vk is correct that it's not great practice to nest anonymous functions; but passing a function as an argument in JS is fairly standard practice and allows a lot of flexibility. The pay-off is that if it's not managed well you land up with spaghetti :(|)