G4P Updates - how to include

DDJDDJ
edited December 2015 in Library Questions

Hi,

I am using the G4P library to implement a control panel for my app, but I would like to change the GButton functionality to draw buttons slightly differently.

I know nothing about Java but it looks like the source code creates a .jar file somehow.

Can anyone point me to a reference site or tutorial where I will be able to learn how to create a .jar file from the overall source code plus my amendments?

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• In the next update of G4P GButton will have slightly rounded corners by default although you can still select the square-corners that are used currently.

SInce you 'know nothing about Java' then compiling the source code and creating the jar file is a serious challenge. I believe there is an easier way to do what you want without leaving the Processing IDE but I need to test it before I say more.

I would like to change the GButton functionality to draw buttons slightly differently.

What are you trying to do? If it is something I think others might like then I will consider including it as an option in the next update.

• I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard - oh, well.

Essentially, I'm using an image button, and by default they seem to be surrounded by a rectangle in one of the define colour scheme options. I want to be able to create a button without that rectangle so that all I see is the image on my button.

I guess the alternative is to be able to specify a colour for the rectangle itself so that I can override it to be whatever my background colour is.

As the author of that excellent library you're best placed to determine whether this is a worthwhile change and how best to implement it.

• edited December 2015

Use the GImageButton control,instead. You can specify up to 3 images for mouse-off, mouse-over and mouse-down .
    (If you specify just 1 image it will be used for all three button states. If you specify 2 images the second one is used for both the mouse-over and mouse-down states).

If you use gif or png images (which support transparency) you can make parts of the button invisible. Try the G4P_ImageButtons example that comes with the library the ghost and coin buttons demonstrate what I mean.

The GButton is different in that it supports buttons that have text and/or an icon on its face. Even if the icon has transparent parts the button will always be coloured.

I guess the alternative is to be able to specify a colour for the rectangle itself so that I can override it to be whatever my background colour is.

G4P uses colour schemes to give a consistent look and feel. It is possible to modify the colour schemes or even create new ones. This webpage describes two methods of changing the colour scheme. Method 1 has always been available to G4P but Method 2 which allows you to do it programmatically will be in the next release.

BTW I always recommend creating a new colour scheme rather than editing an existing one.

• Looks like this will fix my problem, so I will have a play around. Thanks for updating this extremely useful tool!