Context, this, and Activity ... P3

edited October 2015 in Android Mode

A few recent posts about P3 issues have the following lines of code (from akenaton) as solution to obtaining context/activity info etc, but they are giving me an error.

The error I am getting is saying that "the function getActivity() does not exist"

import android.content.Context; import android.app.Activity;

Context context;
Activity act;

void setup() {
  act = this.getActivity();
  context = act.getApplicationContext();
}

void draw() {
}

I could have stayed in one of the current discussions but as this goes across a few I hope another discussion thread is OK!?

Answers

• edited October 2015

Inside setup(), draw() and other Processing's callbacks, this is a PApplet reference:

println(this instanceof PApplet);

• edited October 2015

So does that mean I shouldn't use this in setup and draw? Thanks for fast reply!

• Answer ✓

It's not it! It just means that getActivity() doesn't exist as a PApplet method.
    Actually, we can prefix almost any Processing's API w/ this. :>

• Ok got it! Thanks.

• edited October 2015 Answer ✓

getActivity() is NOT a PApplet method;

Yet:: (&& that's i have done) you can get context from application context i have explained how and why

&& show that the android examples (which cannot run) can run if (see my posts)

so you write

(Activity) act = this.getActivity();

context = act.getApplicationContext();

then use context...

• @akenaton Yes I understand what you did .. And thanks for posting for us! It was just the error being reported that worried me and I didnt know why it was showing. You have helped a lot!

• edited October 2015

@hudson_m400== thanks because i have not seen any answer from the processing team about that (and about "how P3 android mode is supposed to work"--- very simple???)

---rather :: not work ----try to make a video with it

--if you can, tell me, happy!!!!

either:: tell me

&& i ll explain you what this simplest thing is impossible, because "private" && so on

• Processing 3.0 is still under heavy construction since moving the PApplet to it's own fragment. Things might still change a bit inside and lots of stuff need a rewrite.

But mostly it's done and it's only the documentation that needs an update. : )