Requesting advice for buying a new computer optimized mainly for rendering Processing sketches

Long title says it all. I'm in the market for a laptop that renders Processing sketches (related outlets: through Intellij or in the browser with P5JS, etc.) for a performance-setting (using a projector). So high-performance, stable, etc.

I've only used Windows my entire life but in the past few years leaning towards UNIX/POSIX style/compatible systems as I've been developing software recently. And Macs seem to be more predictable and stable and have great performance in general. Also just seem easier to work with Kinect, Wiimote, etc.

I'm looking for general advice, concerns, things to avoid, recommended specs on video cards, RAM, CPU, etc. Whatever you can contribute is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• I started with Windows 3.1 and eventually moved over to the Mac a couple of years ago. I use a MacBook Pro laptop and an iMac desktop and I have never regreted the move even though the hardware is more expensive. At one time I set up both machines to dual boot with Windows 7 but I never yse Windows anymore.

If you are going to use a projector I suggest you make sure the laptop has RGB or HDMI outputs. My MacBook is quite old so does not have HDMI and I had to get an adapter cable for RGB

Don't stint yourself on the projector because no matter how good the display is on the laptop your audience sees what comes out of the projector. When projecting it is better that the laptop is set to the same resolution you are using on the projector. My MacBook detects the projectors resolution and will offer to changes its resolution (if it xan) for you.

The projector output is important unless you are in a very dark room.

• Thanks for your post, quark. Which projector do you use, out of curiosity?

I guess if there is one annoying thing it's all this hype about retina display, which I don't care about. I don't want to worry about pixel density and it's just wasted GPU especially when the projector doesn't have the same resolution. Maybe it's not much to worry about?

• Also, I assume Intel Iris cards are quite well (default for all Mac Book Pros). It seems you have to pay about twice as much (2500 opposed to 1300) for a great graphics card.

Obviously the bottle neck on any sketch could be memory, CPU, or graphics card depending on what the sketch is and how it is written (or how well it is written) but in general, what is the most important part here?