Processing won't start up(using OSX Mavericks

edited November 2013 in Using Processing

Recently I updated to Processing 2.1 and it worked fine on osx 10.8. However when I updated to Mavericks last week Processing opened for a few seconds and then crashed without making a new window or adding menus to the menubar. I updated to Java 7 and it still wouldn't launch. I downgraded to java 6 and it still wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

By the way I tried to download Processing 2.0.3 and it said the download was damaged and it refused to unzip or launch.

Answers

• edited November 2013

Here is the error in the console:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at processing.app.Base.(Base.java:351)
        at processing.app.Base.createAndShowGUI(Base.java:202)
        at processing.app.Base.access$0(Base.java:145)
        at processing.app.Base$1.run(Base.java:139)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:251)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:733)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(EventQueue.java:103)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:694)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:692)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:703)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:150)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:146)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:91)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at processing.core.PApplet.parseInt(PApplet.java:9373)
        at processing.app.contrib.AvailableContribution.(AvailableContribution.java:51)
        at processing.app.contrib.ContributionListing.parseContribList(ContributionListing.java:460)
        at processing.app.contrib.ContributionListing.setAdvertisedList(ContributionListing.java:76)
        at processing.app.contrib.ContributionListing.(ContributionListing.java:59)
        at processing.app.contrib.ContributionListing.getInstance(ContributionListing.java:66)
        at processing.app.contrib.ContributionManager.(ContributionManager.java:35)
        ... 18 more
    logout

[Process completed]

• edited November 2013

I am interested in this issue, because I am trying to develop ruby-processing to run with an installed version of processing on the Mac (etc). So I did a bit of research you might find useful here. Particularly in your case the link to stackoverflow.

• I tried processing 2.0.3 and I installed the apple jvm but it still quits right after launching. It doesn't leave an error in the console though...

• Processing still does not work, sorry for the BUMP. But now it doesn't even print anything in the console, just crashes with nothing left behind. Does anyone know what JRE settings I should have?

• edited May 2014 Answer ✓

I was hoping stuff will get fixed but unfortunately new 2.2 is still not working at all. The situation has slightly improved, Processing launches, and displays 'File' menu, About works and even example list shows up, but it does not exhibit IDE, nothing showing up in the console.

last version that does work is 2.0.3

• Processing 2.2 and 2,1 do not work on either java 6 or 7. I can't downgrade to osx10.8

• I have figured it out. First do Cmd + Shift + G in Finder. This brings up a dialog. Type in the following ~/Library/Application Support then press "ok" or "go".

Next find the Processing folder in there. Right-click it and select "Move to Trash". If it asks for your password do so. To make sure you deleted it you can do the same trick in Finder except now type ~/Library/Application Support/Processing and when you click the button it will give you an error. This is good.

Finally you download the newest version of Processing and launch it. It should take longer than usual because it has to recreate files. Hope this helps!