Try with resources

Hi. I'm trying to use Processing with Encog, and I have two functions that serialize and deserialize a neural network. The sketch contains two functions that I originally wrote in plain Java 7, so it uses try-with-resources. However, when I ran them verbatim in Processing, it gave me this error: Expected LBRACE, found '('

So I expanded out the try-with-resources, like this:

BasicNetwork load() {
  ObjectInputStream in = null;
  try {
    in = new ObjectInputStream(new FileInputStream(file));
    return (BasicNetwork) in.readObject();
  }
  catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {
    System.err.println("Looks like Encog isn't imported properly :(");
    System.exit(1);
    return null;
  }
  catch (IOException e) {
    e.printStackTrace();
    return null;
  }
  finally {
    in.close();
  }
}

But then in.close() can also throw IOException, so Processing gave me this error for the finally block:

Unhandled exception type IOException

I know, ironic. I'm gonna be playing Whac-a-Mole with these pesky exceptions. What should I do about it?

Here is my original code:

File file = new File("data/neural-network.blob");

BasicNetwork load() {
  try (ObjectInputStream in = new ObjectInputStream(new FileInputStream(file))) {
    return (BasicNetwork) in.readObject();
  }
    System.exit(1);
    return null;
  }
  catch (IOException e) {
    e.printStackTrace();
    return null;
  }
}

Answers

• Answer ✓
    • The PDE (Processing's IDE) is very faulty about Java specifications.
    • Actually, it's not even fully compatible w/ Java 5! @-)
    • The PDE relies on a pre-processor in order to transpile ".pde" sketches as 1 Java class.
    • If we really wanna use full Java in the PDE we need to create a ".java" suffixed tab.
    • However, any code from those tabs needs the PApplet reference from the ".pde" canvas.
  • edited July 2015 Answer ✓

Your code compiles fine. The only problem is that the in.close() line also needs to be wrapped in a try/catch block.

One approach would be to just wrap the whole thing in a try/catch block. That's not exactly the safest, but for most cases (particularly if this is just something for yourself and not some mission-critical piece of infrastructure) it'll do the job.

If that sounds annoying, then you understand why they added the try-with-resources feature.

• The LBRACE is a simple syntax error that is not related to the try-catch code posted here. You need to look at your code before the indicated error position for an extra RBRACE i.e. )

• Aha, I changed it to

BasicNetwork load() {
      try {
        ObjectInputStream in = new ObjectInputStream(new FileInputStream(file));
        BasicNetwork yolo = (BasicNetwork) in.readObject();
        in.close();
        return yolo;
      }
        System.exit(1);
        return null;
      }
      catch (IOException e) {
        e.printStackTrace();
        return null;