Processing G4p Gui Builder (alpha)

//////////////////////

Ok, guys, please comment on whether you think its worth continuing this project and what should i change, or whether i should drop it at this and start something new (any ideas?)

/////////////////////

I have started coding an apllication in processing, which is meant to make the process of coding a GUI using the G4P library simpler and easier, by allowing you to drag and drop wanted elements on to the screen, and adjusting their desired properties in a Visual Basic-like way. Afterwards you can auto-generate an output sketch, which will already contain the code that is needed to make the gui you created work. So far the current version - 1.0a - supports (look below for updates) creating and exporting a gui containing:

- Buttons

- Text Areas

- Text Fields

- Sliders

- Checkboxes

- Options and Toggle Groups

- Drop Lists

Also for any of the elements you can write you own code to be executed when any events triggered by them happen, or during void setup() or void draw(). When exported the code will be included in the programm.

Future updates are planned to include support of Glabels, Gpanels and GKnobs, as well as a better looking interface and also such features as code highlighting for the code you type and other utilities to make the development enviroment better. This is an early alpha test, so if you choose to download and try this tool out, I would be very greatfull if you submitted any bug reports to this forum thread. If you do, please include a description of what you were doing, a printscreen of bug/crash, and, if you are using the 64 bit version - all the text from the console.

You can download the current version of the tool at:

http://adf.ly/1K4A3o - for the 32 bit version (Direct http://www.mediafire.com/download/qpw7exyln651ulc/Processing_G4P_GUI_constructor_1.0a_32_bit_(exe).rar

http://adf.ly/1K49WM - for the 64 bit version (Direct http://www.mediafire.com/download/c62ls8gl8iht96w/Processing_G4P_GUI_constructor_1.0a_64_bit_(bat).rar

Comments

• could you post the real link to the rar...

your link doesn't work here....

• How the one differs from the G4P tool? http://www.lagers.org.uk/g4ptool/index.html

• Only fair to warn you that G4P is not compatible with Processing versions after 3.0a5, for more info read this discussion

Also have you seen the GUI Builder tool. You can install it from Tools | Add Tool | G4Ptool and launch it from the Tools menu.

I downloaded your source code and had to run it in Eclipse to see it in action. You might want to add more detailed instructions in this thread on how to run your program.

Having said all that I like your drag-n-drop interface and pop windows for the controls properties. :)

• edited June 2015

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Ok, thanks for the comments.

1) Due to them I have added direct links.

2) I havent actually seen the g4p tool, but the main difference here will be that i intend to include a more serious capability to support actual processing development, possibly I will even make the code compilable from rght there.

3) Thanks for telling me, that processing 3 wont support g4p, as I hadn;t checked. However i intend to carry on for now, then possibly migrate onto another library when p 3 comes out.

4) I dont really get about the problems with executing the code - in the archive there are .exe and .bat files

//////////////////////////////////////////////

If you notice any problems or have any questions or suggestions please ask straight away.

• Thanks for telling me that Processing 3 won't support G4P...

I don't think he said that! Merely that it is presently not compatible right now! ^#(^
    Once P3 have a stable release, which I might add probably gonna take a while, he'll surely launch a P3 version too. $-)

• Once P3 have a stable release ... he'll surely launch a P3 version too.

Unfortunately that's not guaranteed. G4P and especially multiple window support, relies on PApplet extending java.awt.Frame which was abandoned with 3.0a6

I am seriously considering supporting G4P for PS2.2.1 but then creating a new more sophisticated GUI altogether for PS3.

Just have to wait and see what PS3 looks like when released.

I havent actually seen the g4p tool, but the main difference here will be that ...

That's a laugh, how can you compare your program with something you haven't seen.

GUI Builder
    1) provides a VB like interface
    2) supports iterative GUI development through code capture (i.e. it captures and remembers user code entered in the event handlers between GUI edits).
    3) It fully integrates with the PS2.2.1 IDE

• edited June 2015

... G4P and especially multiple window support, relies on PApplet extending java.awt.Frame...

I'm starting to think I'm the only 1 in this whole forum, even after all this time, who relies on PApplet.main() or PApplet.runSketch() in order to get multiple window instances! @-)

http://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/11304/multiple-monitors-primary-dragable-secondary-fullscreen

• edited July 2015

@GoToLoop

In this discussion you posted 2 examples for multiple-nested-applets (V1.0.1 and V2.0) and both worked fine with PS2.2.1 but neither worked for me in PS3.0a9 with OSX.

EDIT both your examples require PApplet to extend a window component like java.awt.Frame

So unfortunately that is not the solution I need for G4P with PS3.

Even if they worked in both PS2.2.1 and PS3 it is unlikely I could the same level of control and flexibility that is available in the current version of G4P.

• edited July 2015

Both your examples require PApplet to extend a window component like java.awt.Frame.

That's not "totally" true! Only setVisible() depended on Frame! :-@
    It's enough for the Processing 3's devs to re-implement important methods from Applet & Frame.
    That is, they have to re-invent the wheel. Which is basically what Processing series 3 is under the surface! 8-}

• Ok, guys, please comment on whether you think its worth continuing this project and what should i change, or whether i should drop it at this and start something new (any ideas?)

• I think the project has merit but it is probably worth waiting for PS3 to be released otherwise it will have a short shelf life.

• Still waiting for the video you promised :)

• The video is another problem. On the whole I think its probably wise to wait for processing 3 before continuing, so I am stopping development of this for now... Sorry. Anyway if you do want to try it, its mostly self explanatory.